Thanks all for the comments! Took a break from working on the map for a few days to pay attention to other hobbies, but about to start working on the next continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
Hi Tiluchi,

Looks like exquisite work; much more involved than any I've ever done. Like you, I used the tutorials on Worldbuilding Pasta to create my tectonic history, although mine is so crude and sloppy I was embarrassed to show it with my main equirectangular map. I like your fully rendered terrain for the first couple continents, as it looks very realistic and convincing. How did you generate this terrain, if you don't mind me asking?

Are you planning to model this planet with Earthlike parameters or are you aiming for something different?
Thanks! Honestly, I drew the elevation map entirely by hand using Adobe Illustrator (I think other vector programs such as Inkscape would do a similar job), with a number of Earth topographic maps as a reference. It's a vast amount of work but I wanted complete control over elevation so I could easily make edits to the topography or add detail to certain areas at a later date. I highly recommend vector-based maps over raster-based programs such as Photoshop if you're planning to do very in-depth worldbuilding work, as it allows for a "master map" with much more detail and a smaller file size.

Ultimately I imagine this will follow Earth-like parameters, at least as far as climates go. I'm actually currently thinking this will be a moon orbiting a gas giant planet in the star's habitable zone, albeit not tidally locked due to magical/handwaving reasons. However, I still have to do a little more research to find out if this would necessarily impact climates or other things before I make a final decision there.