Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 2022 Challenge: Bilbo's Game of Walks!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Added cards and an insurance policy, plus some more public domain clipart, and finally remembered to shade the water areas. I need to look for typos and generally nitpick but in case work consumes the rest of my June, this is final enough.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilbos Game of Life v9 (sm).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	133796

Find me on
    DeviantArt

Guild Member

Love. Love. Love.
    You seriously have a product on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MatteBlack View Post
    Love. Love. Love.
    You seriously have a product on your hands.
    Aww, thank you! I should pitch it to Milton Bradley, since I'm shamelessly using their concept.

Final map is attached (I think) for the June 2022 challenge, “Map Like an Animal.” I decided to map my neighborhood, as seen by my dog, Bilbo, during our walks. When I read the challenge description, I immediately thought about the old board game, The Game of Life, and decided to go with a board game-style map, so I present…the Game of WALK!

Bilbo is a Feist mix, which means he’s a squirrel-hunting, tree-climbing dog with crazy feet that are unfortunately close to having opposable thumbs. He can also walk upright on his back legs. Until I adopted a squirrel hunting dog, I had no idea that my neighborhood contained approximately 6 billion squirrels, plus a ton of free-range pet bunnies and cats. Bilbo is obsessed with squirrels, bunnies, and cats and he can remember the exact location of every little furry creature he’s ever seen, especially the bunnies. Whenever we get close to a yard that contained (or once contained) bunnies, Bilbo gets on his hind legs and walks upright, so he can get a better look to see if bunnies are around. You’d think after 5 years, he’d chill out about the squirrels and bunnies, but nope! Each and every walk is just as exciting as the very first one!

This was hand-drawn in Photoshop on a Wacom Intuos tablet. The font is Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed (except for “Pet” in the pet insurance policy, which is Engravers MT.) The animals and buildings are all clipart from the public domain; all the other stuff is mine.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Bilbos Game of Walk v10 (sm).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	133811

Find me on
    DeviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

absolutely accurate !!! Magnificent cartographer's work !!!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    absolutely accurate !!! Magnificent cartographer's work !!!
    Thank you so much, that is high praise!

If no one else enters the competition, I may even stand a chance of winning! But I fully expect to see a last minute, drop-dead gorgeous entry by one of our usual winners.

Find me on
    DeviantArt

I thought perhaps I should post a photo of Bilbo, as he inspired this map. (My other dog, Willow, probably wants her own map now.)

Name:	Bilbo.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	133823

Find me on
    DeviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12