Thread: How to go about naming a very large amount of things?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I came up with about 30 names last night whilst trying to fall asleep, so I figure if I can just do that for about a week I'll have enough random ones of my own (notwithstanding the lack of sleep).
    This was a main part of my process as well

If you end up deciding you need more speed, a compromise would be to find a variety of generators based on different real world languages and cultures and assign them to analogous cultures in your world. Then either use the names directly from the generators or else use the word roots and create your own names that sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    This was a main part of my process as well

If you end up deciding you need more speed, a compromise would be to find a variety of generators based on different real world languages and cultures and assign them to analogous cultures in your world. Then either use the names directly from the generators or else use the word roots and create your own names that sound better.
    With the "speed" I'm making my map I'm well on track to get all the names before I get anywhere close to needing them . Now I just have to come up with enough so that I can group them in linguistic regions in appropriate amounts.