Thread: Heya!

Default Heya!

Heya all,

I'm new here, and know next to nothing about making maps. Yet. I recently bought an introduction book and I'm looking forward to just get started somewhere. I would really like to learn more about styles of maps, drawn from real-life. What was a map like made in the middle ages? What about one made in the 19th century? Which ones do we often see in fantasy?

What brought me here was not my own passion, actually, but a gift my RP buddies want to give our GM: a beautiful map of the world we have been playing in. I realise there are some rules before I'm allowed to post a ask in the proper channel, I'll have a look around until I know how to do it all according to the rules.

Thank you for reading this far, and I look forward to reading more about map making!

Welcome, if you go down to the Resources subsection you can find a lot of good links to various historical maps. One of my favourites is http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/historic_cities.html and I can never seem to find it down there anymore.

As for other resources, user KMAlexander has made available tons and tons of historical mapping elements if you want to troll through his collections.

Welcome to the Guild! One of my favorite historical cartographers is Nicolas de Fer, you should look him up. Really beautiful work to get inspiration.

I look forward to seeing you around!
    - Josh