It's been an age since I've posted a WIP thread here at the Guild. Usually it's impractical, since I generally map so quickly - often finishing a map the same day I started, why start a thread about a single day project? However, I am creating a 3D city map for a setting project that I will be publishing. I've used 3D in my maps for years, most often to create difficult to depict objects done in 2D, as map symbols within mostly a 2D vector created map with heavy use of bevels to simulate 3D. Sometime 3D details can get hidden by the other details and shadowing, so mapping in vector can be more precise for the sake of a map game aid, versus a pretty illustration only - that's my philosophy about it, anyway.

I've already posted the basic illustrations in my 3D thread in the General Discussion forum, but I'm replicating it here, as they were created as a part of the process.

This is supposed to be the capital city and religious center for the Delphi Clerisy, that have adherents across Colonial Space, but is centered at this star system colony - a religious colony. As a member state of the Confederation of Independent Colonies of Colonial Space (CICCS), they pay taxes, contribute into the trade between colonies, have representation at the Colonial government capital on Vespa, serve in the Colonial Navy and Marine Corps, but otherwise maintains it's own laws, choice of governance; is for the most part independent.

Originally refugees from old Earth forced to flee to the nearest 13 star systems with existing corporate colonies during a cataclysmic time limit to disaster by an awakened Earth. In that first half century of escaping Earth, humanity found themselves the nearly slave citizens under the control of the megacorps. The most desperate in the population sought escape from megacorp governance, by crowd funding colonial expeditions to the vast stars beyond what is called Corporate Space to the frontier known as Colonial Space. After a century, 36 independent colonies settled in Colonial Space. An alien incursion on one of the more distant colonies, forced it's neighbors to pool their resources and create a defense against the invasion and repulse the aliens. This formed the basis for an alliance of colonies that would become the CICCS. There are alien world members of the confederation.

Delphi II (Apollo) was settled by choice based on prophecy, according to the followers of the Delphine Path, as adherents call themselves. Rather than worship of Apollo, as in the ancient Greek original, they more praise Pythia, the greatest oracle of antiquity. The leaders of the Delphine are prophets. They aren't monotheistic, as their beliefs are more of a philosophy than a religion and welcome prophetic individuals from other cultures and species. The city was based on a standard pre-fab design chosen based on lower price, but full accommodations.

Software: I use Wings 3D, a free subdivisional surface 3D modeler, which is based on Nichimen Nendo, a Japanese software I'd used for 10 years before moving to Wings 3D. It's simple, capable, fast and free - all good reason to use it. While I am learning Blender on and off, it's very complex 3D software, however, I use primarily use Vue Creator at the moment ($20/mo. subscription), because it's fast, powerful and easy to use, with a stunning built in rendering engine. So it works for my immediate needs. I will move fully to Blender eventually, but still tackling it's learning curve.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pythia-topdown.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	133848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pythia.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	793.7 KB 
ID:	133849