Thread: Vanaheim (WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Vanaheim (WIP)

Greetings, Cartographers.

It's been an Age since I posted anything, but life circumstances have recently changed and afforded me the opportunity of more time to work on personal projects instead of solely professional ones.

I went back to the Vanaheim project I'd posted previously on and decided to rework it from the ground up...again...this time focusing more on a small-continent sized area instead of an entire planet offering. This was primarily due to two main reasons. The first was my increasing frustration at being able to illustrate landforms like mountain ranges, rivers, relief and elevation that were anywhere close to 'realistic'. So, I decided to focus instead on using some real-world data as the base. The second, and perhaps more importantly, was the realization that I didn't really need an entire planet to tell the 'story' that I wanted to tell.

The results are below. I've spent far too much time tweaking this base map, but it's finally approaching something I feel is representative of the overall feel I was going for. The next steps will be to focus at the regional level to start adding rivers, roads, cities, etc., and going back and cleaning up the base map with any changes/irregularities that pop up along the way. Any and all comments, criticisms, and suggestions are welcome!

For the images below, the first is a resized view showing the entirety of the continent. The second is a zoomed-in portion of the center of the map at full size, which I believe should be a bit over 200 miles across.

Programs/tools used for this map: Adobe Photoshop; Wacom Cintiq 22 Graphic Tablet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vanaheim_5thAge_Continental_081122_WIP.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	134085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vanaheim_5thAge_Closeup_081122_WIP.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	134086