Hello folks. First time posting (and hopefully in the right area).

I created a continental size map where the hexes are 60 miles each. My question is (hopefully) a simple one to answer: if in my continent there are rivers and lakes laid out, then when I zoom into a regional level or even a local view, would (realistically speaking) there be more rivers and/or lakes that exist that would not have been shown at continental view? Maybe this is a stupid question (my apologies if it is), but I really am ignorant with respect to what should be appropriately shown at certain view levels on a map.

I mean, I know that from a point of view of fiction, I can show whatever I would like on my map. However, it seems impractical. Yet, I also find the opposite to be true, for it would be annoying to have to zoom in on a region just to see what is "happening below." I guess that's what ultimately spawned my query; if there is a large river, would it have to be massive for it to be shown at a continental level? What is the "cut-off"? I guess the same question could be asked from the point of view of living communities; which are "appropriate" to show at a continental level and which are not? Or is there such a thing as "appropriate" (i.e., could a continental view just show all that there is to show)? I am using Wonderdraft as my software, FYI.

Whoever can provide some feedback or some thoughts, I kindly thank you ahead of time.