Quote Originally Posted by aami View Post
Thanks for your tips! I wasn't washing it beforehand, so that might be a reason. The one thing I'm struggling with is straight and consistent ocean lines. With going from top left to bottom right (I am indeed right handed), it goes against my digital instinct to go in steps (from coast to oceans to mountains to forests, etc) so I think a lot more focus on the sketch would be beneficial.

Either way, thanks
One thing you can do that might help with the straight lines is to rotate your page as you're working so it's in an orientation where you can more easily draw straight lines in the direction you want, I do this all the time when I'm drawing straight lines for the edges of buildings etc. You don't need to strictly work from top left to bottom right, I'll sometimes pick a smaller section within the piece and work top left to bottom right within that, you just need to make sure that you work in such a way that you don't run your hand over sections before they are dry. From the time you lay it down the ink could take anywhere from 30 seconds to about 5 minutes to be dry enough to run your hand over (maybe even longer for a large blot). Focusing a lot on your initial sketch does help too.