Thread: Newbie looking for livening up my Wonderdraft maps

Question Newbie looking for livening up my Wonderdraft maps

I'm an old fart. Pushing 80. Got hooked in college in an aerial photography interpretation course. Later. Much later did geographic information science degree.

But I'm into simple maps and plans, worked a career in landscape architecture.

I've used Wonderdraft and Dungeondraft; but my results look too 'lifeless' to me. I finish off my basic work in Affinity Designer.

I am attaching two images in hope of some direction, some new ideas. Will somebody have at it, please?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KingdomMorocco1of7.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	771.4 KB 
ID:	134163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RooftopGarden4of7.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	134164

Welcome to the guild! Always a strong first post to come in with maps blazing!

I don't know what direction to give, but I think the first thing to think about is the goal of the map, what is the most important information that you want it to convey, and then kind of build towards that and after that add secondary and tertiary things that either help that or are related to that (if necessary, or if you think they'll enhance the map). The other thing I would suggest is be careful to balance the focus of your maps versus other elements. For instance everything is bold, saturated and eyecatching, nothing is.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Welcome to the guild! Always a strong first post to come in with maps blazing!

I don't know what direction to give, but I think the first thing to think about is the goal of the map, what is the most important information that you want it to convey, and then kind of build towards that and after that add secondary and tertiary things that either help that or are related to that (if necessary, or if you think they'll enhance the map). The other thing I would suggest is be careful to balance the focus of your maps versus other elements. For instance everything is bold, saturated and eyecatching, nothing is.
    Thank you for your comment and focus.