Thread: City Map by MidJourney

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I was going to have a pop at that kind of thing when I could get my hands on something to try. There's been some posts about stable diffuse or something like that which you can get the code and run but my graphics card would not handle it.

Everyone is sort of mulling over in their heads whether these bits of art are original and who owns the copyright and whether a machine can get a patent and all sorts of things like that. I think that in time it will be seen as a tool to create art only that this tool does an awful lot in one "stroke". But I have seen some great movies on youtube where the user paints over sections that it doesn't like and then the computer has another go at filling in the missing bit of it and when its good you keep it and keep working it in sections. Then it really feels like a tool rather than it creating the whole image. But its a smooth grey scale from one opinion to the other and its hard to pin down an absolute idea of what it is. Certainly its well interesting tho.

In terms of your map, well I think its more like a piece of art than a true map. It has lines and shapes but a map is more of a representation of spatial data done in a way which highlights certain features of it that the cartographer chose. Usually colour and arbitrary shape take a back stage to the forms having some real world or fantasy world representation in a "real" space.

I would imagine that if you had an engine trained on loads of images of just maps instead of the historical museum art pieces of the world then it might be more typical looking. But ultimately, unless the engine is somehow mapping the colour and shape to something which represents things in a world then its unlikely to look like a map.

But total kudos for having a go. Certainly I can see a lot more of this type of stuff being used to make maps. This whole area is so new I have not really formalized in my head how I feel about it other than the technical fascination of it working in any form whatsoever. I really think that computers, if not humanity, passed a sort of rubicon with Dall-E, the chess engines and some of the text based AI where it has parity with Turing test stuff that has been happening recently. It sort of feels like a time when people went out exploring the world with no idea what they are about to come across. The next few years of computing is going to be weird.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-26-2022 at 12:38 PM.