Thread: Cloud City (final name TBD!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

The first houses! Yay! Nowhere near the area covered in stage 1 of that animation above yet, but it should give you an idea of how this piece is gonna look.

I'm a bit worried that the houses might look higher than the mountains (which obviously isn't what I'm after). What is your opinion on that? I might need to tone down the shading on the houses to make sure they appear substantially less "elevated" than the terrain they're in. I mean, these mountains are at least a few hundred meters tall, especially in the NW, and the houses are closer to a dozen maybe?

Alternatively, I'm playing with the idea of redoing the bump shading with the houses added (in practice I would add an additional layer set to "add" with a greyscale value equivalent to the buildings' height) thus turning my DEM into a DSM. But boy howdy, is this gonna take a lot of time, especially if I want each of my houses to have a different height value. Then again, not sure if that would be necessary at this scale, except maybe for the "monument" type of buildings. Having all the houses at the same height wouldn't do much harm I think. I'll give it a whir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SqNjmzYQ.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.94 MB 
ID:	134847

Also, I just realized that this map might be in the wrong sub. Now that my terrain work is done (which is mostly "regional"-style mapping), I should probably move it to Town/City mapping. Should I start a new thread or can it be moved there in its entirety?
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 12-16-2022 at 06:36 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!