Thread: Playing around with Wonderdraft

Guild Member

Map Playing around with Wonderdraft

I've loved browsing the forums & admiring the art & worlds all you amazingly talented folks have shared. I don't kid myself that I have anywhere near the ability or creativity on exhibit here but have still loved cartography & world building since childhood...though my talents (if any...lol) have always been more with words that pen or brush. That said, I've looked around for something to help me create the worlds I want to take from my mind & put into more than words. I know I can't rely on my own artistic ability...at least until stick figures are considered art!

Being an old fart without much background in computing I also found myself looking for something relatively simple. I have CC3 & have seen some beautiful work done with it but haven't had the time to invest in learning how to use it. Stumbled upon Wonderdraft & really like it so far. Simple enough even for me & I really like many of the art assets. As a test & to help myself learn the program I threw together an unnamed test continent. It's unfinished but I was kinda happy with it. First mapwork I've done in decades probably & looks way better than most of my old pencil & paper stuff that was lost years ago.

Know this doesn't come close to so much of the awesome stuff posted here. Just wanted to throw it out just to show that even un-artistic folks like myself can still have opportunities to bring the worlds of their imagination to life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test WIP.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	134607

Guild Member

Not finished, just wanted to play around with the various settings & assets & see how it looked. Know its imperfect but it's better than anything I feel I could do on my own with just paper & pen so I'm pretty happy with it all in all.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised how useful Wonderdraft is. I quite like it, used it to put together quick-n-dirty regional maps for D&D games, etc. and for planning/sketching for my 'official' maps. Great tool.

And nice work on the map! I really like the look of that big wooded valley in the southeast.

Guild Member

Thanks Diamond! Been into RPG's for decades & loves the tools this gives me to put together worlds, even without artistic background or ability. As to the valley, had a little head lore going on that it was the center of an Elven nation adjoining an allied Dwarven nation in the nearby mountains...cliched, I know. lol Didn't take things too far as this was mostly a test run & some practice with the program.

Guild Novice

I like your map. I'm the same way with Campaign Cartographer, seen the awesome results and I can't replicate it. I found Wonderdraft much easier to use.