Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec/Jan '23 Lite Challenge: Seeing the Red mist...

Blog Entries

Thanks Turambar and Falconius,

Yes its a bit of an underground luxury condo. Just don't go into the triangular room or the Owl Bear will rip your head off ! The writers really had a skewed sense of reality with this one. Its all luxuriant padded sofas, wine, nuts and gold plates here and decaying bone strewn floors there.

We have fountains and several pools and a misty atmosphere I think but the floors around the curtains are technically dry though there might be some magic involved in keeping out the mold and mildew. From a game perspective it gives concealment and adds a sense of tension when you don't know whats behind the curtains. But yeah it is a bit odd. My curtains are my standard icon which is just a black line and not very good but we cant do super realistic curtains since we have to have a picture of them from above and I have never taken a photo of curtains from above since usually there is a ceiling just above them and I am not a fan of sideways perspective style images in a map which otherwise doesn't have any other perspective icons. But I think its ok - just about.

Some of the descriptions relate to whats on these curtains and murals so the map does not give the full picture. I think the bit where I have a few tentacles showing at the bottom of the pool room is some kind of Kraken style monster mural which would look good.

Anyway - I have to go scour bogies icons and any other place for lots of bones now. Got put the Owl Bear floor in...

Here are some curtains and bones I have in my DJ file. None of them are my art, but all were posted on DundJinni so they are free to use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curtain_Closed.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	134774 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curtain-2-red-4e.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	134775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curtain-ddkblue-4e.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	134776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silks_gold_gt_hrc.png 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	134777

Name:	Bone Scatter, Dense 01.png 
Size:	514.4 KB 
ID:	134778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bone Scatter, Medium 01.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	134779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bone Scatter, Super Dense 01.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	693.7 KB 
ID:	134780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bone_pile_mass_grave_madcowchef.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	134781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huges bone pile_sc.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	538.6 KB 
ID:	134782

Blog Entries

I had a look through what we had here but it was insufficient but I did find a perfect example here: https://www.clipartkey.com/view/xwiT...-illustration/ so I have to thank a certain Ingrid Goldstein for an excellent texture I can use non commercially - which this is of course. I made a seamless texture and used it to generate the bones around the owl bear lair.

I got a few mud textures too and applied them to where the owl bear walks. The darker gritty dungeon texture certainly seems more traditional.

It says in the text that there is a chain in the floor but I put a boss there as an anchor for it made from another of Bogies icons - probably a plate or something. I sized it so that the owl bear should have reach to the walls which is not too far off what size the text reckoned.

So closing in on a finish line now...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToEE_213_07.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	134783  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-05-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Bogie, Hey thats great I would have used those for sure. I think that last one IS the one I used only in a different form. Maybe that Ingrid made it maybe it was existing but whatever, its a good icon that one.

The curtains are good too. I think ill swap mine for them on the next wip. Thanks !

Next time, I will run through all of the text and check off all of the descriptions. I know I saw a bench in there somewhere and its loitering in the south passageway now until I can work out where it needs to be. Theres small goblets and bowls of nuts and books and things like that but on the map its only a few pixels final size. I don't need an Owl Bear since I am not doing the creatures but if you have one I could put it somewhere local here so that people can pick it up and use it in a VTT if they happen to be running the module.

I think that would make a final map and then ill do one more with the text numbers for the rooms on it as a DM map.

This is the only good owlbear I have. Also not my art, it was posted on Dundjinni by someone named DD, ? Dirty Dan ?

Name:	Owlbear01_DD.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	134789
    Last edited by Bogie; 12-07-2022 at 12:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Ohh - very nice though !!! It can't be part of the final map but ill add a little detail of it showing the reach of him. Nobody is going past him without a fight.

Name:	OwlBear_Reach.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	134794  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Ohh - very nice though !!! It can't be part of the final map but ill add a little detail of it showing the reach of him. Nobody is going past him without a fight.
    Or making a new friend!

Blog Entries

Default Final

Owl bear gives you a nice friendly hug...

Anyway - losing the owl bear icon, I re-read through the text and added the odd chair, writing desk plus a few bits and fixed up nicer curtains. It turned out that bench was in there but in room 220 or somewhere outside of my area.

So I think this is it. The final WIP. I'll do one more with some text with the secret / concealed door and maybe with the owl bear on it but this is my entry. I hope some others finish their areas so we can put them all together into the whole layer. I discovered that the text said that the gargoyles are bronze with green virdigiris too but I can't be bothered to redo them. There are a few a small items out of place but the general gist is there I think.

I welcome comments for improvements.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ToEE_213_08.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	5.27 MB 
ID:	134802  

Blog Entries

Default DM Map

The DM map with numbers.

Name:	ToEE_213_08_DM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	5.27 MB 
ID:	134803  

Great job Redrobes! Nice that you have a player map and a DM map.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast