There is definitely less chatter on the boards compared to several years ago but I would have to say that for the less chat people are still posting some unbelievably great maps. The standard seems to have widened and the top tier is getting higher than ever. But I think that leaves quite a few people behind and destroys enthusiasm to produce something that is personally fine but would not cut it in a competitive environment like commercial maps.

But RPGs in general have had a bit of a resurrection thanks to covid so I think more people are playing but I expect that they are using pre bought modules.

The internet in general is dying. This is one of the better sites where content is being made and distributed by individuals instead of fast paced low grade tiktok style rubbish. Part of that is that the internet has become commercial. Also people interact with it via a phone screen instead of PCs so its more dominated by consuming content rather than creating it. Its a lot like the music industry. Compared to the 90's, 80's, 70's and 60's etc there are no bands any more. Just individuals managed by commercial interests - usually people visually appealing where only a smaller fraction of them have true musical talent. The push for quick results has made the barriers to entry on any content creation very high and so getting over that barrier is more effort and so less people are able to do it.

Right now, end of 2022, it seems to me that everyone is hustling to get by and mapping is taking a back seat.