Thread: What happened???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Besides personal stuff that just has me less active with mapping recently, I think the answer is social media in general. There are a good number of Guild folks active on Twitter, and in fact Twitter became the main way I interacted with the Guild forums...when ChickPea was posting regular tweets about every new finished map and challenge! I took to using her tweets to track activity here, and only went to the forums to go look at a new map in detail and post on those threads. Needless to say, that was a mistake...first CP disappeared, now all of Twitter might implode. But I don't think I'm alone in changing my internet browsing habits to be more aligned to the social media ecosystem...and now it's coming back to bite me. So I'm trying to get back into checking the forums more regularly.

The whole thing reminds me of Matthew Inman's comic: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/reaching_people

There are still a bunch of us posting maps and interacting on Twitter, but who knows how long that'll last.

One proactive thing we might do: is there another app besides Tapatalk that we could use to view the forums on a phone? Tapatalk doesn't support some Guild functions (like challenge polls), it's a little hard to navigate, it shows a lot of ads (including the dreaded autoplay video....and I'm sure the revenue goes to Tapatalk, not the Guild), and worst of all for a art site, it down samples images substantially. I know maps are best viewed on larger monitors, but we could better meet people where they are. I view maps on a phone often myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    One proactive thing we might do: is there another app besides Tapatalk that we could use to view the forums on a phone? Tapatalk doesn't support some Guild functions (like challenge polls), it's a little hard to navigate, it shows a lot of ads (including the dreaded autoplay video....and I'm sure the revenue goes to Tapatalk, not the Guild), and worst of all for a art site, it down samples images substantially. I know maps are best viewed on larger monitors, but we could better meet people where they are. I view maps on a phone often myself.
    I never use Tapatalk on phone... Always view the full website.