Thread: Shar-Halad (WIP)

Guild Novice

Wip Shar-Halad (WIP)

Hey everyone! Been a while since I posted. My D&D v3.5 campaign is going strong, and the party has just entered a new subcontinent: Shar-Halad. This is my second map I've made (and yes, I'm still slowly but surely making progress on the world map). I'm going for a different style with this one, trying out more realistic mountains and implementing color. I've read just about every tutorial on this website on how to do them, but I'm still learning. I briefly described the setting in my world map post, but I thought I might add on a little treat for whoever is curious about the lore.

About 6 months ago I made a meme for my players and posted to YouTube. It's one of those "Little Dark Age" art montages. The meme format basically laments the current darkness of the time/place. I've seen it with pictures of the Roman Empire, Warhammer 40k, and more. Well my video got 30,000 views, and it's pretty funny and tangentially related, so I've linked it in hopes that y'all might get a kick out of it.

I'm a DM first and a cartographer second, so progress on this map could stall at any moment. That being said, I'm having SO much fun making this so expect more updates to come!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shar-Halad@0.75x.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	135965

Click here to watch my video

Guild Novice

Update 2!

I added a map border. Probably will adjust sizes of it, the blending, and the like. Not satisfied with its texture. But the pattern is nice. Also added more mountains. Labels coming soon!

Name:	Shar-Halad@0.5x.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	135967

Guild Novice

Update 3.

Had a day off work, so I spent a few hours working on the map. Labeling takes so much time!

Name:	Shar-Halad without Border@0.75x.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	136181

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Very nice! It is a pretty cool idea. I like the way you did your texture and the mountains, I really like them.

How are you planning to tackle the line of your coasts? It doesn't blend too well at the moment. (Just FYI, I'm not talking about their natural contours, that actually came out good as well.)
    I was wondering if you are going to select your land mass, grow the selection by a few pixels and throw in a dark color under the land mass and blurring it? Or what are you looking at?

(By the way, is this your second map ever? Or just second map in your world. Either way, job well done so far.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19