Thread: Introduction and Advice for an Old Geographer ;)

Default Introduction and Advice for an Old Geographer ;)

Hi and thanks for accepting me into the Guild

My goal is to learn how to hand draw maps (and digital) so that I can bring local history (British, Midlands,) and geography to life in a creative way. Love maps.

Initially for internet though would love to and open to find a way to expand into a bigger business idea…maybe teaching things.

At present in the day I’m a full time market researcher in a life sciences company (no idea really how I got here’s)

I’m an “old geographer” from 1980’s at the dawn of GIS. I did a year on Remote Sensing though more a taster. And never really did cartography seriously though kept the books.

I’m looking for a way to do something more visually creative and that will combine interest in research, history, geography, art and design…. and a past dabbling in drawing and watercolours…

In part this was inspired by looking at Heywood Sumners archaeology maps and landscapes and his handwriting. And researching old maps as part of an interest in metal detecting…that led me back to old 18c engraved Maps…. so just got me back into it.

I’m open to doing maps in traditional hand and integrated with digital methods. Also aspire to learn QGIS software.

So Im looking for learning resources, advice, courses, workflows, mentors and encouragement.

In return I can offer to the community ideas, research skills. Search for me on linked in under Martin Silcock if you want to know about my professional life.

Look forward to learning from you all
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-09-2023 at 04:54 AM. Reason: formatting

Welcome Explorate. Hope that you can find what you are lookin for here at the guild