Thread: Pixelart Overworld Map

Map Pixelart Overworld Map

I've had a bit of a break from commissions recently and been playing some indie pixelart games and jrpgs so, naturally, I was inspired to return to do some pixelart-ing and try and make a map style from it.

It's a fairly time consuming style to create, but there is something oddly therapeutic and relaxing about placing each pixel and making minute adjustments on a scale you know no one will notice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overworld01.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	136948

Ifrix you are a really talented artist! This is so nostalgic and beautiful, reminds me the Final Fantasy style. So cool. The diamonds in the borders.
    And also different from what I usually see here. Will there be any cities in yout Overworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    I've had a bit of a break from commissions recently and been playing some indie pixelart games and jrpgs so, naturally, I was inspired to return to do some pixelart-ing and try and make a map style from it.

It's a fairly time consuming style to create, but there is something oddly therapeutic and relaxing about placing each pixel and making minute adjustments on a scale you know no one will notice

Name:	Overworld01.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	136948
    Can I say that I find this really Cool ? and if you say you did it pixel per pixel manually and is not done simply with the pixxellation filter then You are like a modern mosaic maker, congrats ... This Image brings old RPG videogames vibes.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :-D

Finding a pixel map like this takes me back to the first PC adventure games, and those are some pretty great memories!

Hats off to you for all your hard work, I can't imagine the time and technical difficulty it took to make this beautiful map. There's a happy, sunny, carefree feel to the pixels that's hard to find with other media! Thanks again !

Thanks!

The program I used is called Aseprite, a painting program specially designed for pixelart.

As a little behind-the-scenes, I made a grid, each being 16x16 pixels, and filled those with a colour to plan the map. I then used that as a rough guide to draw the features over the top. I actually deleted the folder with the rough image in it but here is a quick recreation of the plan:

Name:	OverworldRough.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	136968

And, as a bonus, a little character to explore the map:
    Name:  Character.png
Views: 204
Size:  10.7 KB

This style of yours is absolutely gorgeous, Alastair, I love it and it brings good memories from games of yore but with a definite glow up

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Thanks!

The program I used is called Aseprite, a painting program specially designed for pixelart.

As a little behind-the-scenes, I made a grid, each being 16x16 pixels, and filled those with a colour to plan the map. I then used that as a rough guide to draw the features over the top. I actually deleted the folder with the rough image in it but here is a quick recreation of the plan:

Name:	OverworldRough.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	136968

And, as a bonus, a little character to explore the map:
    Name:  Character.png
Views: 204
Size:  10.7 KB
    Haha cool it would be fun if you could even animate and move around , may be make an actuall little rpg game out of it .

Amazing work, so much childhhod vibes are hitting from this!
    Thibaud J.B. - Astral booker of l'Arpenteur
    Cartographer and pathfinder of distant lands
    Website |Artstation Portfolio | Instragram | Reddit
    Tel: (+33)6 13 95 93 78
    Discord: l'Arpenteur#6822

Wow, I can't even imagine the time and effort it took to create this. It looks gorgeous. I'm another fan of old-school pixelart style games but this is impressive even by their standards. Just fantastic work!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"