Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
Grim, that is a great response. Have some rep!
If it's such a great response, though, then why I am so displeased with it, Diamond?

For myself, I tend to equate the term "hand drawn" with "self created," or with self being the driving force, more so than the hand (which is but a portion of a much greater whole, aka self).

For what it's worth, if anything, I see the hand, itself, as a tool - a physical, organic tool, of sorts. But where does the creativity, itself, the creative force, so to speak, originate? Where does it dwell? In the hand? In the mind? In our consciousness?

Hands are typically (I think) viewed to be a part of ourselves, an innate and inseparable part of who we are. Yet, in at least one sense, it is a tool that something else within us controls and manipulates, in order for us to create certain other things. Because things like tablets, laptops, desktop PCs, and even software are things external to our organic forms, we tend to perceive them differently, insofar as where our perceptions of what properly qualifies as a tool is. And by extension of looking at things that way, our view of what properly and genuinely qualifies as "hand drawn" tend to end up being somewhat constrained - i.e.: It's only hand drawn if the hand, itself, is what draws it.

Now, I don't have any qualms about how many people see it that way. I understand it. I grasp it. I respect it.

Electronic hardware and software are external tools. The human hand, not so much. I can't help but to think of Stephen Hawking. Of necessity, he required the use of a variety of tools that were external to his physical form. Yet, were his creative contributions any the less his, because of such?

So, as my mind scrambles to lay hold of what is at issue, where the concept of hand drawn is concerned, I try to look beyond the surface, and to consider the issue more fully.

One implication is that, if a given human being has no hands, then by default they are wholly incapable of "hand drawing" anything at all. But what if they have an artificial hand? Could they then hand draw stuff? Or would those be mechanical drawings, if a mechanical device of some sort were utilized to provide a human being with an equivalent way to draw?