Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Larion View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alagaesia Reimagined.png 
Views:	968 
Size:	6.71 MB 
ID:	135012

This is a recreation of the map of Alagaesia from the Eragon and the Inheritance Cycle books, by Christopher Paolini.

There was a livestream earlier this week where the author mentioned some upcoming news for the series. After watching, I decided I wanted to try recreating the map of Alagaësia in my own style. I used to post more often here in the past, but kind of fell out of the habit as the years went on. I have more maps posted on my Deviant Art page.

I created this over the course of 2 days in Photoshop. I made a few tweaks to rivers and to mountain shapes due to the change in the artistic style, but other than that it's as faithful to the original map as I could make it.

Let me know what you think! Feedback is always appreciated.
    Very nice. What is your method for mountains? Hand drawn heightmap + Wilbur erosion?

Blog Entries

Thanks! I use the Tangram Heightmapper to make custom brushes, then a dual brush to draw them. Then I go in an manually tweak them to fit and look nice. There is definitely an element of trial and error. I'm not familiar with Wilbur Erosion, I'll have to look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Larion View Post
    Thanks! I use the Tangram Heightmapper to make custom brushes, then a dual brush to draw them. Then I go in an manually tweak them to fit and look nice. There is definitely an element of trial and error. I'm not familiar with Wilbur Erosion, I'll have to look that up.
    Nice! I have tried something similar with making brushes from DEMs, but haven't gotten it to look quite right. The program is just called Wilbur. It pretty commonly used to erode heightmaps (especially if handrawn in photoshop) and give them a mire realistic look.
    Last edited by Turambar; 01-07-2023 at 03:24 PM.