Thread: [WIP] Urbis Redux Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map [WIP] Urbis Redux Map

It's been a very long time since I have been active here, but I decided I want to give cartography another go. In the past, I've worked on a setting called "Urbis" (there is a thread in this very forum about it), and now I want to rebuild it from the ground up - using the added experience I've developed as a writer those past 10+ years to good effect.

"Rebuilding from the ground up" also means a completely revamped geography. In contrast to my earlier efforts, I have decided that I want to start with a procedurally generated world map. I used "Songs of the Eons" to good effect, and came up with one I rather like (see attachment).

Then, because [s]I am a glutton for punishment[/i] I like the of adding individual locations to a true 3D globe which then can be used as a base for custom 2D maps, I decided to use QGIS for the next step (also, my place of work uses GIS technology, so becoming familiar with this kind of tech doesn't hurt).

...and that decision is where I currently stand now. I am wholly new to QGIS, and while I am pretty sure that there is some way of importing an equirectangular map into QGIS and mapping it on a 3D globe, I haven't figured out how - and googling has been less than helpful (presumably because I can't phrase the right questions).

If necessary, I will wade through the handbooks and documentation myself (I have to do that eventually anyway) - but if anyone has already done this and can give me any pointers, it would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urbis_Globe.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	135033