Thread: Wilbur Precipitation-Based Erosion adding weird bumps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using the morphological filter worked very well in getting rid of those bumps! Thank you! I set it to 2 using a 8bit png of the last complete render of it, but unfortunately at the moment it is largely killing/flattening some of the detail and making the contours far more visible. I'm not too sure why it is doing this, but I suppose it is because it's generally flattening the image?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur Relief Render 3.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	634.0 KB 
ID:	135066

Name:	Wilbur Relief Render 4.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	750.9 KB 
ID:	135067
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rubikia View Post
    Using the morphological filter worked very well in getting rid of those bumps! Thank you! I set it to 2 using a 8bit png of the last complete render of it, but unfortunately at the moment it is largely killing/flattening some of the detail and making the contours far more visible. I'm not too sure why it is doing this, but I suppose it is because it's generally flattening the image?

Name:	Wilbur Relief Render 3.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	634.0 KB 
ID:	135066

Name:	Wilbur Relief Render 4.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	750.9 KB 
ID:	135067
    it looks like stepped , is this result of that filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    it looks like stepped , is this result of that filter?
    The steps should be a result of the original data being an 8-bit PNG. Median won't change those flats or edges very much, but it will kill very fine detail like single-pixel noise items. The larger the window on the median filter, the larger the size of individual details that it's likely to kill. I added it to kill those single-pixel towers that tend to crop up in my preferred blur/basin fill/incise/precipiton loop. Using Morphological Erode also kills the towers, but it widens river valleys and sharpens mountain peaks as well; Dilate will broaden the towers into little square blocks, and Median will just sort of smooth it over without killing detail in the same way that blur would.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The steps should be a result of the original data being an 8-bit PNG. Median won't change those flats or edges very much, but it will kill very fine detail like single-pixel noise items. The larger the window on the median filter, the larger the size of individual details that it's likely to kill. I added it to kill those single-pixel towers that tend to crop up in my preferred blur/basin fill/incise/precipiton loop. Using Morphological Erode also kills the towers, but it widens river valleys and sharpens mountain peaks as well; Dilate will broaden the towers into little square blocks, and Median will just sort of smooth it over without killing detail in the same way that blur would.
    I understand that I have been relying too much on the same combo of filtering when using wilbur, I do

add noise ( 3 -5 %)
    fill basin
    Add noise ( 3- 5 %)
    fill basins
    incision flow ( wide )
    add noise ( 3 -5 %)
    fill basin
    Add noise ( 3- 5 %)
    fill basin
    Add noise ( 3- 5 %)
    fill basins
    incision flow ( medium )
    add noise ( 3 -5 %)
    fill basin
    add noise ( 3 -5 %)
    fill basin
    Add noise ( 3- 5 %)
    fill basins
    incision flow ( thin)
    add noise ( 3 -5 %)
    fill basin
    Add noise ( 3- 5 %)
    And I get the spikey points usually I remove with 3x3 blurr pass...
    I guess there are more filters I should take advantage of, but I didn't understand what is for what in the other list, do you have a description of the other filters , and their usage or utility somewhere?