Thread: February 2023 Challenge: Mikrenu System

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default February 2023 Challenge: Mikrenu System

I have a bad track record with completing challenge maps but I am confident I can do it this time, after all it's a star system map! How could I not resist I'm also recording my process so that should be an extra precaution to ensure I finish...

My initial idea was a trinary star system, purely for aesthetics. I have no knowledge of how it would really work, but I imagine that what I've plotted would not be possible, but no matter!

This is the basic outline, 20 planets of varying sizes orbiting 3 stars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mikrenu Prison System.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	135219

But my idea was to use this more simplistic rendering of the system as a base to inspire a far more stylised map. I've drawn 20 unique planets and placed them in orbit around stylised stars. None of this is to scale, and I plan on including a lot more images, borders, names and moons around the map as I go.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mikrenu Prison System Stylised.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	135220

The basic idea for the lore is that the planet Mikrenu was a prison planet for a mysterious and oppressive intergalactic organisation, meaning it houses numerous species of differing technology levels, cultures, religions, etc which includes fantasy and sci-fi-type species from my various projects. The planet was eventually forgotten about, and the prison and surrounding worlds were effectively left on their own. A key goal for the peoples on Mikrenu is escaping the confines of the planet and the system and be able to truly regain freedom.

I think on the whole I'm happy with how it's progressing, but I might have to mess around with some line widths in order to get it right.
    Last edited by Rubikia; 02-09-2023 at 12:26 PM.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com