Thread: Hey there!

Post Hey there!

Hi, I'm Tanmoy from Odisha, India. I got into the hobby of making fantasy maps a short time ago and just discovered this place. I've already made a few maps through Wonderdraft but I want to expand what I already know. Some of the stuff here looks so good.Looking forward to wasting a lot of time here. See ya!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Large Continental Colorful Fantasy Map.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	135518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colonial Exploration Monochrome Fantasy Map.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	135519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Real Country Fantasy.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	135520  

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild. Nice maps - we like opening posts with maps on them. Forgive my ignorance but do the dots over the a's have any special significance ? It seems like all the vowels do and it looks pretty cool but I wondered whether it might have more significance than looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Welcome to the guild. Nice maps - we like opening posts with maps on them. Forgive my ignorance but do the dots over the a's have any special significance ? It seems like all the vowels do and it looks pretty cool but I wondered whether it might have more significance than looking good.
    The dots don't really have any significance. They're 'matras' which are supposed to represent certain sounds like in Hindi like 'ang','ee','e','oo' and so on and are applied on consonants. In my case, these were only used for the look. I wanted to use a 'Hindified' English font (forgot the proper terminology for such fonts) and this was the only halfway-decent one I found. It's not as legible as I would like, but using a regular font didn't seem fun enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HavePatience View Post
    Hi, I'm Tanmoy from Odisha, India. I got into the hobby of making fantasy maps a short time ago and just discovered this place. I've already made a few maps through Wonderdraft but I want to expand what I already know. Some of the stuff here looks so good.Looking forward to wasting a lot of time here. See ya!
    Welcome to the Guild! I'm looking forward to seeing more maps from you. I especially like your historical map of India.

Praise

Quote Originally Posted by HavePatience View Post
    Love your maps, Tanmoy! I am learning Wonderdraft as well so it's great to see what you have done with it. Very interesting about the matras dots. As Bertrand Russell once said, "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."