Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 625 Million Years of Tectonic History on an Unnamed Conworld

Guild Member

I meant to actually ask, what software are you using for your continental map Peter? I'm using Photoshop personally, though I did try Illustrator initially but that didn't work out due to an issue with the version I have installed.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hello Guild,

Thank you first of all to Tiana, as well as Stiophan, worldbuilding pasta, and Eowyn Cwper for your feedback!

I actually used a real-Earth DEM only for the bathymetry, a detail that I don't particularly enjoy rendering, not knowing any decent methods of doing it "realistically."

Thank you, worldbuilding pasta, for pointing out the lack of overlap between my colliding plates. Normally, I'd feel compelled to rework the collisions (as I do strive for quality work), but I've already proceeded quite far into the topography rendering process for my continents. My next conworld, however, will definitely factor in this important detail. By the way, I highly admire you for your blog, worldbuilding pasta, which I read regularly in hopes of achieving realism in my conworlds, many of which are hostile to human life and cannot be simulated for climate due to gases (such as ammonia) in the atmosphere whose greenhouse warming I cannot properly account for. I'm currently working a process to simulate greenhouse warming due to any arbitrary gas using an Excel spreadsheet that is coming along nicely. Its specialty will be simulating atmospheres, especially those far beyond Earthlike; as well as calculating tidal/rotational bulges, tidal mechanics/evolution and full integration of mass considering precise geological makeup (i.e. Mg/Si ratio, [Fe/H], C/O ratio, etc).

Regarding your question, Stiophan, I am also using Photoshop (and Wilbur) for the continental map. I’ve considered downloading Illustrator, although I’m not financially capable of affording that right now. There’s also quite a steep learning curve, although that by far is only a minor consideration for me. When I have the time, I intend to tackle learning a vector-based software product, such as Inkscape or Illustrator, but right now I’m very occupied with my current project and of course the spreadsheet.

A while ago a Guild member suggested a separate sub-forum for conworlds consisting of tectonic animations, topography, and climate calculations. I second that suggestion, for I believe it could serve as incentive for those curious but inexperienced with this art form, as well as allow the "experienced" to offer advice and suggestions. It would help popularize the pursuit of conworlding. Yes, Eowyn Cwper, you should definitely get into tectonics!

Thanks again to all for the constructive criticism!

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Toth; 06-17-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Guild Member

It certainly looks like you put a lot of hard work in Peter, I did think Wilbur would be in there somewhere. I use Mac so it's not something I can try sadly. Looking forward to see your project develop though!

Great looking, really nice animation.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hello Guild,

Thank you to all who've responded; here is an update showing the motion and evolution of my oceanic plates.

Total work time was 112 hours using GPlates and Photos Legacy. I cannot stress how painstaking the work required was, for each plate (among hundreds!) had to be split regularly and configured to partially disappear, in order to keep the animation clean and smooth. (You can see the effect of plate splitting if you zoom in close enough, although I tried hard to eliminate these ugly artifacts.)

I realize the plates start off slow, then speed up towards the end. Is this natural, worldbuilding pasta? If so, I probably could have used a 12.5-million year interval towards the end to account for this acceleration in plate motion.

I also admit having made many errors, but I'm comforted by at least knowing where my Laramide orogenies will be located, a difficult task to accomplish without first mapping out your oceanic plates' evolution. So if this map is a little short of aesthetically pleasing, at least it qualifies as being practical to me.

https://www.facebook.com/10001366170...8150745657312/

At any rate, I hope you enjoy this animation.

Peter

While these really long timescale tectonic evolutions can sometimes gloss over details that I find myself obsessing over, your animation here is really nice looking and looks like it will form the basis for super detailed topography, which I eagerly await seeing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12