Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Closed] World map request

Map [Closed] World map request

Hello all. I am looking to create a new world map.

Commission

Please send me a private message to discuss your rates or provide a quote for your services.

Subject

We are looking to create a new world (basemap, not layer) that will be browseable just like Earth on Google Maps, with a max zoom of 12x. The world will have around 10 continents and each continent will have a different topology. Whenever a user zooms into the 12x level, they will be able to see artificial terrain shaped like giant fossils of musical instruments (imagine a mountain high cello buried into the ground. So this "mountain" will be perceivable as the instrument, cover in dirt. There will be several different musical instruments (not only cello) with different silhouettes, like guitars, pianos, trumpets, etc....

Style

To be discussed, but H.R. Giger meets realistic

Quality & Size

HUGE-quality, we can accept 30,000x30,000 pixels tiles that we can then join using QGis

Time Constraints

Open to timeframes, but would prefer as soon as applicable.

Copyright

We need full copyrights for sole use of this work.

You cannot be private messaged until you have 5 posts.

So to anyone considering this commission, this client wants multiple 100 inch highly detailed tiles that, as written, you cannot use stock components to assist you in creation, it will have to be made from scratch to be flawlessly detailed at 100% zoom which means you really should be making these tiles twice as large to shrink down. The amount of continents are greater than the earth, so you will have to do original artwork that is on the tier of Google Maps zoom level for a world with twice as many landmasses as the earth. And not only that, without negotiation you will never get to display this art in your portfolio (that's what full rights for sole use means)... and they want it fast. I am quoting in full awareness of what this means for a project.

So my non-commercial rate for a map that's a third of the size of one of those tiles is $800, that's the average size of a big map commission though the largest map I ever did was large enough to print and lie on a gymnasium floor for a museum kid's game.

My commercial rate would make it about $2400. My exclusivity rights would make it about $8000. That's a third of one tile, so my rate for one tile with the rates above would be $24000 USD. Let's just assume for the sake of things that each continent fits on one tile and it isn't quite as high of resolution and density as the actual earth.

That would make my rate a minimum of $240,000 USD for this project if 1 continent fits on 1 tile every time, but of course it may be higher if you had the goal of more interconnected tiles.

I would of course provide a discount on this rate assuming I can display a low-res version of the art in my portfolio, and a better discount assuming I can use premade stock resources with commercial use rights to set up 3D elements like the instruments. Kitbashing would make this task notably easier, although still monumentally challenging.

I doubt such a project can be done by one artist in even a year to the quality you're requesting, and if speed is genuinely a goal it should likely be split across multiple artists.

As I cannot privately contact you until you have 5 posts or add an email, feel free to reach out to me via the contact methods in my signature or send an email to admin@feedthemultiverse.com with more information.

Best
    Ti
    Last edited by Tiana; 06-09-2023 at 09:09 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I'm pretty sure my rig with 32GB of RAM can't handle files that size at anything approaching useful working speeds, not in Photoshop. The fact that you want this zoomable at that kind of degree also suggest vector-based work, which really limits the pool of artists. And at that size and level of detail, especially at request ASAP completion, you'll need someone working full time, most likely at Tiana's rates or higher.

As a vector artist, I can confirm that the amount of work would be daunting. Definitely a project that I would not be ready to take as is and that would probably be in the tens of thousands of dollars no matter what. You can always reach out to me for advice though!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    I'm pretty sure my rig with 32GB of RAM can't handle files that size at anything approaching useful working speeds, not in Photoshop. The fact that you want this zoomable at that kind of degree also suggest vector-based work, which really limits the pool of artists. And at that size and level of detail, especially at request ASAP completion, you'll need someone working full time, most likely at Tiana's rates or higher.
    It's true, I know the quote I posted is obscenely high but I actually think it's quite generous considering I truly understand how challenging this project would be. I based it on my current rates, which are middle-high, so some people would probably quote more. Merely doing it would require an upgrade to a rig with a 4090 and 64gb of RAM to handle the size of the tiles, and a subscription to a rendering farm to get the parts that would have to be 3D components rendered to that quality standard. That's a $4000+ machine right there. Most of us have middle tier machines (I have 24 gb of RAM and a 1060 and am planning to upgrade to a 4060 when the 16gb drops in July) and that handles anything up to a standard poster okay in Photoshop, which is about a third of the size of one of these tiles. Vector would handle it a little better but it wouldn't get the style right. I don't know of anyone who can vector realistic satellite HR Giger art. That's raster. And pulling off the realistic fossilization of musical instruments would best be done in 3D, even if it's post-processed in Photoshop.

It is an amount of work that's worth a year's wages. With just commercial use rights. The full exclusive rights currently requested mean it's worth more than just hourly wages, because selling all rights means you can't use the work to promote yourself as an artist to future clients. In art and design school people are taught to sell that for 10x their commercial use rate because of the loss of future revenue by loss of flexibility, and in my experience as everything in my portfolio inevitably wins me at least 10 new clients that's a fair price increase.

If damianova genuinely has the kind of budget to make this possible, my recommendation would be to assemble a team of cartographers to achieve "ASAP" completion. Probably not, but maybe they represent like a huge game or movie studio. I suspect the scope needs to decrease so we can meet in the middle. The question is to work out what they actually need, not what they want.

Let's take a look at like... a highly detailed video game like Skyrim. It's set in one country. The map is zoomable and has a lot of great detail and even that one map probably cost thousands of dollars to produce to the level of zoomable detail. The game is enormous, immersive and the map alone is a satisfying experience. And it's one country. Every Elder Scrolls game is just one regional map and you can spend months of your life exploring it. 10 continents more than an enormous decades old MMO has for content. Ten continents is essentially asking us to recreate the Earth. It's more content than the entirety of all of the Elder Scrolls games. More content than World of Warcraft. I have a client right now whose world is decades in development and it has only 5 continents and two of them are barely developed. I personally have a setting that's 2 decades in development and the primary part that has received extensive detail is smaller in scale than Canada. It's a single portion of a continent. Just like Skyrim.

Can it be done? Yes, if someone has enough money. Would I do it? Yes, if I knew for a fact I would get paid through the process, because this would have to be the only thing I worked on for months even on a team of a few artists.

I love the idea of realistic satellite HR Giger musical instrument landscapes, I really do. It's a great pitch. I would love to see this come to life. I expect it might need crowdfunding to happen.
    Last edited by Tiana; 06-10-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This would be a case where I think both parties would be well advised to lawyer up and create an actual legally-binding contract. The time, money, and stress involved in this are such that you'd be foolish not to.

Quote Originally Posted by damianova View Post
    Hello all. I am looking to create a new world map.

Commission

Please send me a private message to discuss your rates or provide a quote for your services.

Subject

We are looking to create a new world (basemap, not layer) that will be browseable just like Earth on Google Maps, with a max zoom of 12x. The world will have around 10 continents and each continent will have a different topology. Whenever a user zooms into the 12x level, they will be able to see artificial terrain shaped like giant fossils of musical instruments (imagine a mountain high cello buried into the ground. So this "mountain" will be perceivable as the instrument, cover in dirt. There will be several different musical instruments (not only cello) with different silhouettes, like guitars, pianos, trumpets, etc....

Style

To be discussed, but H.R. Giger meets realistic

Quality & Size

HUGE-quality, we can accept 30,000x30,000 pixels tiles that we can then join using QGis

Time Constraints

Open to timeframes, but would prefer as soon as applicable.

Copyright

We need full copyrights for sole use of this work.
    I might be interested, I specialize in realistic worldmaps, here are some sample images .
    https://www.deviantart.com/n-a-i-m-a...aps-and-worlds
    Oh and I second what Tiana wrote, a single tile of 30k its over too detail, I can reach a single map tile of 21k for the whole worldmap which is also the largest size of bluemarble actual earth size, I could eventually be able to split into 8 tiles of possibly 21k , but its like asking for 8 of my single worldmap types where each would cost quite a lot, 6-8 k is a correct esteem for each tile most probably.
    Last edited by Naima; 06-11-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Dear cartographers,

First of all, thank you for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    It's true, I know the quote I posted is obscenely high but I actually think it's quite generous considering I truly understand how challenging this project would be. I based it on my current rates, which are middle-high, so some people would probably quote more. Merely doing it would require an upgrade to a rig with a 4090 and 64gb of RAM to handle the size of the tiles, and a subscription to a rendering farm to get the parts that would have to be 3D components rendered to that quality standard. That's a $4000+ machine right there. Most of us have middle tier machines (I have 24 gb of RAM and a 1060 and am planning to upgrade to a 4060 when the 16gb drops in July) and that handles anything up to a standard poster okay in Photoshop, which is about a third of the size of one of these tiles. Vector would handle it a little better but it wouldn't get the style right. I don't know of anyone who can vector realistic satellite HR Giger art. That's raster. And pulling off the realistic fossilization of musical instruments would best be done in 3D, even if it's post-processed in Photoshop......
    We are using 3090 / 24Gb Ram here at the office with 13th generation i9 and 64Gb of ram. This rig works pretty good exporting 30k x 30k pngs.

To clarify a bit. We are thinking that each tile of 30k x 30k must work as a mosaic, otherwise it would cover just a small area of 400k square miles. We are looking to fill continents with these mosaics (create landscape with these tiles). So the design will be 10 tiles (one per continent, that we can just stack next to each other to form the land masses). So it would be 10 different designs total.

The final image size (final map to its fullest resolution will be an image of 1048576 x 1048576 pixels, therefore, we need to repeat around 30 times each 30k x 30k image in order to fill the full canva, and this is why we've thought about this project in a mosaic-able fashion, again, with 10 different designs or "patterns" if the word makes more sense.

Our budget for this project is in the 5 figures ballpark. We understand this is an ambitious project for the right designer. Have in mind that this map will be in a very high profile project that will have quite exposure. Crediting the designer will not be a problem and you would be able to use it in your portfolio, however, the ownership rights will remain in our company.

I might be interested, I specialize in realistic worldmaps, here are some sample images .
    https://www.deviantart.com/n-a-i-m-a...aps-and-worlds
    Oh and I second what Tiana wrote, a single tile of 30k its over too detail, I can reach a single map tile of 21k for the whole worldmap which is also the largest size of bluemarble actual earth size, I could eventually be able to split into 8 tiles of possibly 21k , but its like asking for 8 of my single worldmap types where each would cost quite a lot, 6-8 k is a correct esteem for each tile most probably.
    I've seen your work and I really like what you've done over there with Nirn. What we are aiming for is for something like that map to be zoomable to 12x, which is close to browse the Earth in google maps from 900 feet above the ground.

The level of detail does not need to be ultra realistic. We need the landscape to "suggest" and not to actually show extreme detail.

Quote Originally Posted by damianova View Post
    Dear cartographers,

First of all, thank you for your replies.

We are using 3090 / 24Gb Ram here at the office with 13th generation i9 and 64Gb of ram. This rig works pretty good exporting 30k x 30k pngs.

To clarify a bit. We are thinking that each tile of 30k x 30k must work as a mosaic, otherwise it would cover just a small area of 400k square miles. We are looking to fill continents with these mosaics (create landscape with these tiles). So the design will be 10 tiles (one per continent, that we can just stack next to each other to form the land masses). So it would be 10 different designs total.

The final image size (final map to its fullest resolution will be an image of 1048576 x 1048576 pixels, therefore, we need to repeat around 30 times each 30k x 30k image in order to fill the full canva, and this is why we've thought about this project in a mosaic-able fashion, again, with 10 different designs or "patterns" if the word makes more sense.

Our budget for this project is in the 5 figures ballpark. We understand this is an ambitious project for the right designer. Have in mind that this map will be in a very high profile project that will have quite exposure. Crediting the designer will not be a problem and you would be able to use it in your portfolio, however, the ownership rights will remain in our company.

I've seen your work and I really like what you've done over there with Nirn. What we are aiming for is for something like that map to be zoomable to 12x, which is close to browse the Earth in google maps from 900 feet above the ground.

The level of detail does not need to be ultra realistic. We need the landscape to "suggest" and not to actually show extreme detail.
    Thankyou, you can contact me for details at tonelstef @ msn dot com or directly on deviant art...
    But making a simple rapid calculation a resolution of 1048576 considering the wide lenght of an equirectangular projection would require at least 50 tiles of 21k , which is the maximum full size my pc can handle at the moment, but I can assemble them later to a full sized image , I have to upgrade ram and GPU in the hopefully next future though . the maps there are at maximum 8k size, I can't upload high res version on sites, a 21 k as said is a blue marble texture max res standard, usually it can be downloaded even larger but in tiles and as per tiles those if I am not wrong should be like 10 - 20 k each for about 8 tiles which would give a worldmap of at least 80 k in wide, I don't hide though that its a complex and time consuming work and would cost accordingly. Working on a large worldspanning continent would be difficult to be able to apply proper erosion filters and other stuff due to the size of the maps but working in tiles on smaller continents then could be done with a postprocess manual job .

Guild Journeyer

Hello,

you can check out my work at:

FB:https://www.facebook.com/Strigunart

IG: https://www.instagram.com/strigun.art/

My maps are fully hand drawn so I'm not sure if it fit's your criteria but still all maps are scanned in 600 dpi

If you're interested feel free to contact me via any of those pages or at

endi.oblak93@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast