Thread: Noctiland (another iteration)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Noctiland (another iteration)

Here's this year's version of my world of Noctiland. Names have changed, but the vibe remains the same. I am actually very close to finishing a D&D 5E setting manual for it, including new archetypes, PC races, monsters, etc etc. Hopefully it will be ready to go and for sale soon on DriveThru RPG.

Anyway, this is also my first attempt at incorporating AI art into a map. The corner ornaments, border, and title box were created using Bing AI. If you're precise in your language, you can actually come up with some really interesting stuff. I plan on doing this more in the future (sparingly, because if the AI creates too much, is it really my map any more?), because it really shines in making stuff like icons and border elements.

BTW, sorry for the pixellation in the image. I had to shrink it to a third of its size and reduce the quality of the JPEG a little more than I wanted to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AoS1.1.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	135843  
    Last edited by Diamond; 06-11-2023 at 07:19 PM.

I love it! Where did you get the background texture the map is on? The border turned out really well, I had not considered adding elements of AI art into a map before but what you've done here is great. Really nice colour blending and I love the subtle forest texture! How did you create the forest texture?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smiler127 View Post
    I love it! Where did you get the background texture the map is on? The border turned out really well, I had not considered adding elements of AI art into a map before but what you've done here is great. Really nice colour blending and I love the subtle forest texture! How did you create the forest texture?
    Thanks Smiler.

1. Background texture was posted here for use years ago by I believe... Schwarzkreuz?
    2. Forests are also a texture, posted here by ravells.

I'll see if I can remember to append both when I get home from work today.

Efficient map with those excellent D names .

Always good seeing another D map! Pleasing shapes, cool names and so on.

I'm a bit surprised that you are goind DnD! I might misremember but I thought you ranted about DnD not all that long ago ^^ How about a BitD version instead of DnD? Yes yes, i know, you'll probably sell it way better as a DnD product. Not that i don't like DnD 5e, I think as far as DnD goes, it's the best one yet...but there are so many other (and imo better) roleplaying games out there.

And not to be too negative here (and it is not meant to be, honest!) but if I could get a setting book for one of your maps, there are many maps that I'd take before this one (as I said, I like the shapes and all...but I think there are quite a few maps that were even more pleasing [at least to this here cartographer]).

Anyway...if you hit the publish button on drivethru, let us know!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars