Hello from sunny Scotland (yes, it's not raining. No really...).

So my name is Hamish and I stumbled onto this site purely by accident whilst looking up information about a map that I really like which is featured in a book I am reading (Map Stories: The Art of Discovery by Matteoli Francisca if you are interested). Within the book is a map of the Nile valley, produced in 1910 by Edward Stanford, which I love.

I have travelled quite extensively with the Royal Navy years ago, and with my current career, and combined with a love of ancient history, I enjoy looking at and discovering places in the middle east and North Africa, and the map is full of interesting places. I also have various framed maps on the walls in the house.

As for making maps, I have no experience whatsoever. I mean none. Nil. Nada. With my rather inept drawing skills I'm not quite sure I would be any good, but you never know, maybe someone here can help me get started. I would quite like to learn the digital side of creating maps, but again no idea where to start. But right now I am just happy trawling through the gallery of things you talented bunch of guys and gals have created. You really are quite a talented bunch.

So there you go, a wee bit about me. And you never know, a while from now you may find one of my own creations in the gallery (please, keep your expectations very low).

Hamish