Thread: [WIP] My first map upload for perusal

Default [WIP] My first map upload for perusal

For my first upload, here's a regional detail map covering one area of a continent I'm working on.

It'll be updated with my new process to be a bit more realistic, and I somehow managed to mistranslate the sea names, but I'll correct that. Got my Latin suffixes wrong. LOL

I do use a program to create them, with a bit more post-processing now. Thought it would be pretty easy, but I found it takes a lot of work even with computational help.

My worldbuilding practice is a bit extensive. I needed a cartographer to have made it, so I created Ser Alphonsus Albera Da Vinci for the purpose, and gave him a life and history. Da Vinci had so many siblings history won't notice another one. LOL

The world itself is based on Antarctica, millions of years ago. It's largely empty, so I've been adding things to make it playable if I decide to; but not here.

This particular region is substantially unsurvivable, so I tried to map it as if it was based on historical supposition from incomplete records, as nobody will have explored it fully.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpg option.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	135991

You are off to a very good start.
    Love the colours and textures you have used and I really like how you have added the notes all over the map - even if I can't really read them!

Quote Originally Posted by Misjay Maps View Post
    You are off to a very good start.
    Love the colours and textures you have used and I really like how you have added the notes all over the map - even if I can't really read them!
    Thanks.

I enjoyed finding the overall style I liked. I'm still refining the aesthetic on some, and as I refine things, I go back and update the previous maps. Quite a few involved in this.

I'm digging all the notes, as well. It didn't work, at first, which was disappointing; but then I added all the imperfections, and that brought it together.

That's a little odd translated, but it's deliberate. There's a narrative reason behind it.

Figuring out a new style is the hardest bit i find … especially with regional maps. Just have not really got those figured out yet. Particularly the labels part.
    yours is looking consistent, which is great

Thanks!

Yeah, I had to work at that; first starting in the expected way, and then gradually finding I liked more exaggerated features. That one is extreme; but it's supposed to be guess-work in the narrative.

The continental map itself is one of the first maps I've done, and I'll re-make it; but here's the whole thing. The region pictured is at the top; a raised ice shelf. I know this one is still a bit iffy, but I'll make it work when I finish the regions, hopefully.

Right now, on one that's meant to be more navigable (all of the rest are), I'm having trouble deciding how large I want the inhabited "icons". I'll probably split the difference between the two I'm trying.

Consistency is a goal, which is why I keep going back adjusting things on previous work as I sort of find my groove.

Did a lot of research finding a way to logically depict what used to be above sea level, there; and then deciding just where I could give it fantastical attributes, and then guesswork and my own aesthetic; but honestly, Antarctica almost makes no sense to begin with. Looks suitably fantasy right out of the box. LMAO

Name:	testrender.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	135996

Quote Originally Posted by BSP3 View Post
    Thanks!

Yeah, I had to work at that; first starting in the expected way, and then gradually finding I liked more exaggerated features. That one is extreme; but it's supposed to be guess-work in the narrative.

The continental map itself is one of the first maps I've done, and I'll re-make it; but here's the whole thing. The region pictured is at the top; a raised ice shelf. I know this one is still a bit iffy, but I'll make it work when I finish the regions, hopefully.

Right now, on one that's meant to be more navigable (all of the rest are), I'm having trouble deciding how large I want the inhabited "icons". I'll probably split the difference between the two I'm trying.

Consistency is a goal, which is why I keep going back adjusting things on previous work as I sort of find my groove.

Did a lot of research finding a way to logically depict what used to be above sea level, there; and then deciding just where I could give it fantastical attributes, and then guesswork and my own aesthetic; but honestly, Antarctica almost makes no sense to begin with. Looks suitably fantasy right out of the box. LMAO

Name:	testrender.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	135996
    The scale on the continental map does need work, as much as I like the exaggeration. LOL