Thread: A Plan of the Township of Derry, 1740

Map A Plan of the Township of Derry, 1740

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kensett_samplemap_color_medium.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	6.60 MB 
ID:	136016

Put together this sample map in the style of Thomas Kensett using my new brush set. It's a quirky style since you don't pick a single angle but instead draw buildings/trees/etc., based on how they would be viewed from the street. (You see this in Ogilby's road atlas from the 17th Century as well.)

This is not canon, obviously. There is zero evidence in the books that all the characters in the novel (or any of King's other stories set in Derry) had family in Derry dating back to 1740. (Heck, most of the town disappeared.) But fellow fans will like some of the little references.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is very cool. And you're right; very quirky style.

that is really interesting... there were maps drawn like this in the past... with the road as the point of view and the all the buildings in drawn front-view?

I guess it is kind of like google street view... but drawn on a 2D surface

Heh, quirky is right! I absolutely adore the texturing on these maps of yours. With the unevern quality of the linework and colouring, you come closer to achieving a truly handdrawn look in digital media than anyone I've seen. Print this out on a proper thick paper, weather it a bit and no-one would be able to tell the original was created with digital tools. It's really inspiring.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank is very kind of you to say, Kellerica, and it's exactly what I am going for and trying to inspire. I've started to share more of the tools/fonts/textures I've used to help others as well. Just takes some time and a lot of nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Misjay Maps View Post
    that is really interesting... there were maps drawn like this in the past... with the road as the point of view and the all the buildings in drawn front-view?

I guess it is kind of like google street view... but drawn on a 2D surface
    Yup! I talk about it further on my blog. There are a few other cartographers that did this as well. John Ogibily comes to mind. He did these funky little road atlases of Britain in the 1600s, where he'd draw landscapes as you approached and saw them from the road. So mountains/hills are upside down if you're on a descent and right side up if you're going to climb. 2D street view is pretty accurate.

Guild Novice

I love this map. It really looks like it´s hand drawn. This is a path I´d like to follow. Thank you for your work!

I´ve used some of your earlier brushes for my own maps and people really appreciate the result. I use Adobe Illustrator and could not import the brush sets. Instead I vectorised some of the brushes from the picture file. Perhaps we can get in touch by email. I´d like to show you some of my work.

Greetings from Sweden
    Jonathan
    granefeltguitar@gmail.com

Of course! All my contact info is on my website.

I love the style, and the textures are gorgeous!!