Thread: The Vermilion Highlands

Map The Vermilion Highlands

Hi folks, it's been one heck of a long time !

I've been away from the forum for various reasons, the main one being a busy life. I was still lurking each week if not every day but did not manage to find the time/energy to post anything new or comment on others post but I'll try to remedy that as I've not been idle these last couple of years.

Let's start with this regional map commissionned a couple of years ago for a third party DND book called the Angels and Devils trilogy. The theme called for the two corner characters. I loved the isolated plateau setting and strayed a bit from the initial design of the commissionner on the South mountains making them less bulky but going for ridges and valleys instead. The impact crater was also a pretty fun one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	754.6 KB 
ID:	136888

Hope you like it and I'll try to post some more later this week.

Cheers !

Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230910_161231_0-glazed-intensity20.0-render2-V1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	136289  
    Last edited by ThomasR; 01-17-2024 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hi folks, it's been one heck of a long time !

I've been away from the forum for various reasons, the main one being a busy life. I was still lurking each week if not every day but did not manage to find the time/energy to post anything new or comment on others post but I'll try to remedy that as I've not been idle these last couple of years.

Let's start with this regional map commissionned a couple of years ago for a third party DND book called the Angels and Devils trilogy. The theme called for the two corner characters. I loved the isolated plateau setting and strayed a bit from the initial design of the commissionner on the South mountains making them less bulky but going for ridges and valleys instead. The impact crater was also a pretty fun one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230910_161231_0-glazed-intensity20.0-render2-V1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	136289

Hope you like it and I'll try to post some more later this week.

Cheers !

Thomas
    Lovely map and great to see you back on the forum! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Fantastic map, and looks like an interesting setting.

Great to see you back posting again!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome back Thom. I remember seeing this map on other media. Very nice!
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Great map and good to see you back!
    I always adore the inventiveness of your compasses. I can't quite make out the detail at this scale, but is that a statue on the mountain above the Vermilion Stairway?

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Lovely map and great to see you back on the forum! I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Thanks Turambar, glad to be back too

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Fantastic map, and looks like an interesting setting.

Great to see you back posting again!
    Thanks Ruby and thanks for the rep too

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Welcome back Thom. I remember seeing this map on other media. Very nice!
    Hey Rafal ! Thanks And yes, it's an oldie now

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Great map and good to see you back!
    I always adore the inventiveness of your compasses. I can't quite make out the detail at this scale, but is that a statue on the mountain above the Vermilion Stairway?
    Thanks Alistair I've got some new compass roses hidden away, I think you'll like them more than this one This is indeed a statue of a knight wielding a sword on top of the mountain. I'm afraid Glaze blurred it a little bit.

Great map! Love the illustrations on the frame & compass. And that paper effect is interesting on the lands.

I echo everyone else, nice to see you back! A great map too, I love the cliffs and that border design!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Excellent map and it's great to see you back on the guild too. We seem to have had several people reappear lately who have been away for a while so hopefully it's a trend that continues, I look forward to seeing more of what you've been working on as well.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map! Love the illustrations on the frame & compass. And that paper effect is interesting on the lands.
    Thanks a lot Julien. The paper effect comes from glazing the image, I didn't expect it to look like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I echo everyone else, nice to see you back! A great map too, I love the cliffs and that border design!
    Thanks Kell Yeah, the border ... I remember adding highlights and shading that nobody noticed except me

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    Excellent map and it's great to see you back on the guild too. We seem to have had several people reappear lately who have been away for a while so hopefully it's a trend that continues, I look forward to seeing more of what you've been working on as well.
    Hey, Thanks William As to the return of old faces, the internet has become so toxic since recent events that I think people are flocking to the Guild as a safe space.