Thread: [WIP] Halrugh

Wip [WIP] Halrugh

I made my first map a a couple years back, but I was never fully satisfied with it, and wanted a change to restructure it and expand the world some. This is for a world I'm building for Worlds Without Number and/or Dungeons & Dragons.

My original map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halrugh Old Low.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	136340

I spent some time expanding the world out, adding the entirety of the southern continent, resizing existing landmasses, stretching and extending some, adding all new ones.

Name:	Halrugh New Land.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	136341

One of the things that left me unsatisfied with my original is the inconsistency of using various brush packs that didn't have the same resolutions or cohesion. I tried to improve upon things with this one, and most of my brush packs are from the amazing assets by Mapster Mind for Wonderdraft. Wonderdraft is a great tool for layering out shapes, but I really needed the flexibility and control of many, MANY layers... so most of my work was exported out into Photoshop.

Name:	Halrugh Brushes.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	136342

The work involved here for me is... overwhelming. Especially since it's only my second map, even if it is much of a rehash of the original. I first started blocking in colors for my biomes and brushes... a lot of the ground color, tree color and mountain color in this next image is unfinished. I decided to tackle this particular biome first since it's one of the more complex, given all the crystals and the new additions of mushrooms. I'm hoping with a proper ground texturing later on it'll tie everything together nicely, and I'm much happier with this region than the original especially with the amazing crystal and mushroom artwork by Mapster Mind.

Name:	Halrugh Crystals and Mushrooms.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	570.7 KB 
ID:	136344
    Last edited by raziaar; 09-24-2023 at 12:32 AM.

Decided to make the chasms crystalline too, like I had in the original. I want to emphasize the source of the crystalline growths, that the area is just saturated with it. Once I get around to working on the texture, hoping I can better integrate the glowing effect. I'm mostly doing it using photoshop layer style right now, might manually paint it in later.

Name:	Halrugh Crystal Chasms.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	136346
    Last edited by raziaar; 09-24-2023 at 05:12 AM.