Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le Royaume de Duyin

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Le Royaume de Duyin

Hello, fellow cartographers!

Here's a map I'm really hoping to get some comments and criticism on. It's been a long time since I spent so much time and attention on a map (the first sketches were made three years ago). Perhaps unlike other maps, I've focused on the process, rather than the quick end result. At each stage, I tried, tried again, looked for other solutions, and drew inspiration from cartographers I admire (special thanks to Misty Bee, who helped me get out of a tricky situation).
    Another new feature for me is that this map is surrounded by a story, a whole history and a very special context: a kingdom on an island, divided into 11 rival duchies, but subject to raids from an outside enemy, a king from elsewhere who has very little power.

It's a political map, focusing on a region of this other map drawn earlier. Its purpose is to teach the new king about the borders, towns and villages of his kingdom.

I may make a second map based on this one, which will be more geographical, with the names of mountains, forests and other regions. But for the moment, I'm working on a map of the capital, Duwain, with, I hope, the same care as for the one I'm presenting to you today.

I hope you'll like it :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duyin.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	8.53 MB 
ID:	136386

Sketched, inked and coloured on Procreate on Ipad, then carefully refined and finalised over a long period on photoshop

It looks great, and I can easily see the work you've put into it. It feels like a really well-developed world with a lot of history and lore. I love all the shields you've created both on the map and in the border area. Just fantastic work all round!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    It looks great, and I can easily see the work you've put into it. It feels like a really well-developed world with a lot of history and lore. I love all the shields you've created both on the map and in the border area. Just fantastic work all round!
    Thank you so much Chickpea! I really appreciate your kind words and I'm so glad you like the map!

That is really beautiful map with a great number of nice illustrations. It shows you have put a lot of time into it.
    Definitely one of your best.

If you are looking for some feedback. I think you should work more on mountains perspective.
    The south of the map has isometric view, but the more north you go the more they look like it is a top down view.
    Unless it was intentional?

Some forests have vertical lines which also breaks the perspective for me.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Fantastic work, what a map. I love the towers you've added to the scale and other two info boxes. Nice touch.

Good to see you here again Joel. That is an absolutely beautiful map with lovely colours. The amount of work you've put into it is there to see.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    That is really beautiful map with a great number of nice illustrations. It shows you have put a lot of time into it.
    Definitely one of your best.

If you are looking for some feedback. I think you should work more on mountains perspective.
    The south of the map has isometric view, but the more north you go the more they look like it is a top down view.
    Unless it was intentional?

Some forests have vertical lines which also breaks the perspective for me.
    Thank you so much for your feedback, it means a lot to me (especially as I've taken a lot of inspiration from your style!).
    You're right, the mountains in the north do look like they're seen from above... I think it's a lack of coherence on my part due to the fact that there are always several days going by between two drawing sessions. I've noticed that in the far north-east, the mountains look a bit isometric again, but it's still a problem. I'll be paying a lot more attention to this in future maps.
    As for the forests, I think it's due to a sort of desire to give a 'direction' to the forests, in other words, to 'respect' the direction of the forest along its length. This has led me to sometimes give lines that are not horizontal. It's also due to a 'bad copy' of your style, which manages, with these little strokes, to give relief to the forests.
    Thank you for noting these points! I'll be more attentive to them in the future and it helps me to progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Good to see you here again Joel. That is an absolutely beautiful map with lovely colours. The amount of work you've put into it is there to see.
    Thanks Straf!
    I wasn't really far off, but my rate of progress has indeed dropped, alas!
    But I always follow your posts, which often make me laugh... and that's more than welcome these months (years?).
    And many thanks for your appreciation!

You have a very distinct style, my friend! Your cities are something. And I also really love the work on colors and all the other elements (frame, coat of arms and that compass!).
    Great work and stunning map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You have a very distinct style, my friend! Your cities are something. And I also really love the work on colors and all the other elements (frame, coat of arms and that compass!).
    Great work and stunning map.
    Thank you very much.
    In fact, I think I'm going to work on this map again...
    There's still something that bothers me about the balance between the ocean, the compass rose and the rhumb lines...
    I hope to come back soon with something better...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast