Thread: Information on Grid Used by USSR maps?

Default Information on Grid Used by USSR maps?

I have the old USSR maps of Ukraine 1:100,000.

But not being a professional or even a practiced map user I don't understand the numbers around the edges that I take to be a grid system.

Can anyone explain it to me or perhaps refer me to where I can find an explanation?

Blog Entries

Can you post a bit of the map showing the numbers ?

Use the reply and choose the advanced option and manage attachments. Upload an image and then it should attach that to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Can you post a bit of the map showing the numbers ?

Use the reply and choose the advanced option and manage attachments. Upload an image and then it should attach that to your post.
    Hello and thanks for your input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map sample L-34-010.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	136520

and while I am here I wonder about the tiny dots (circles?) along all the field lines. I'm assuming they indicate vegetation. Would that be right do you think?

My Russian (such as it ever was) is really rusty, but the top line reads "coordinate system 1942G". It's a reference for the coordinate system and definitely not a date of publication. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK-42_reference_system for more information.
    The grid and labels have the feel of a UTM grid, but I don't know for sure what they would be. The first label on the left reads "chord 10km" and the other one is "Matezalka 18km", but I can't get a translation of that one.
    I would expect there to be other identifying information around the other edges of the map (the USGS convention has that on the bottom center to right, but I don't know what the corresponding USSR convention would be).
    The two numbers in the upper-left corner (22 30 and 48 00) should be the geodetic coordinate for that location on the map. There should be some on the other corners as well.