View Poll Results: Would you like to do this challenge?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let's do this!

8 100.00%
  • No, there are better ideas.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prehistoric Land

Default Prehistoric Land

This challenge would be to create map set in a time predating civilization; wild and dangerous. The forests are teeming with animals. The ocean is full of mysterious creatures. And what a selection of features there is for such a time! Dinosaurs! Mammoths! Vast jungles! Dodo bird!

You can try to represent a specific time in the past realistically, or go a completely fantasy route, such as drawing humans coexisting with dinosaurs. Just as long as those humans live in harsh enough conditions, caves, stick huts, etc.

What do you guys think?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds cool, I've just joined, this could be my first challenge!

what would the scope of the map be? Taking the prehistoric setting into account, would that make the size of the map as big as it's feasible for a prehistoric human to traverse? I would guess there's no limit or parameter for that, but it's just a thought I had, definitely sounds like a fun idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Glacial Visions View Post
    what would the scope of the map be? Taking the prehistoric setting into account, would that make the size of the map as big as it's feasible for a prehistoric human to traverse? I would guess there's no limit or parameter for that, but it's just a thought I had, definitely sounds like a fun idea!
    Definitely no limitation on the size, or age, you could draw an entire planet with just one ancient continent, or a harsh, fragmented world during an ice age, or even just a small, primitive settlement of some nomadic tribe of hunters.

The goal would be to make it look wild and yet unconquered by humans. The only age limitation is that life has to exist.

This idea was inspired by an article I read about how cartographers used to fill their map with strange, unknown creatures, and sometimes completely made up detail, something that the article called "horror vacui" - fear of empty space. Those old maps are always so fun for the eye to explore. It's like a mini journey. And there always be "dragons" in the sea. Well, it's probably just whales, but back in the day people had no means to study ocean and its mysterious creatures.

So, what land would have the most mysterious, awesome creatures, than prehistoric land?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Definitely no limitation on the size, or age, you could draw an entire planet with just one ancient continent, or a harsh, fragmented world during an ice age, or even just a small, primitive settlement of some nomadic tribe of hunters.
    I second this particular part of the comment above. If you accept setting design, create continents or islands scattered across a seven seas and use the Ice Age glaciers as bridges inbetween! Another good point I can give is that the depth of the sea is important. What if a glacier reached an equivalent of the Mariana Trench? It would collapse downwards, creating glacial mountains! The Prehistoric can be more interesting than the Ancient is my sincere opinion on the matter.

I've written prehistoric "blood elves" whom only hunt and never slay each other once. Well, yes. The possibilities are endless.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good idea - I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post

The goal would be to make it look wild and yet unconquered by humans. The only age limitation is that life has to exist.

This idea was inspired by an article I read about how cartographers used to fill their map with strange, unknown creatures, and sometimes completely made up detail, something that the article called "horror vacui" - fear of empty space. Those old maps are always so fun for the eye to explore. It's like a mini journey. And there always be "dragons" in the sea. Well, it's probably just whales, but back in the day people had no means to study ocean and its mysterious creatures.

So, what land would have the most mysterious, awesome creatures, than prehistoric land?
    I see what you mean, that sounds like an interesting article. Fear of the unknown would definitely leave a lot of room for people to come up with crazy ideas!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know, the more I think about this idea, the more I like it.

I agree, this one would be fun

Prehistoric could also just means before the birth of History I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast