Thread: The World of Aerah - A commission for map to be used in a novel

Map The World of Aerah - A commission for map to be used in a novel

I greet everyone gathered here, on this fabulous forum.

My pen name is Gabriel Greene and I am looking to hire a cartographer for a freelance commission of a map of a setting of mine. The setting in question is Aerah, the world where the action of my novel, entitled "Gahbreeil", takes place. Anyone interested in the novel as well as the commission, feel free to read the first chapter of the novel for free, using the "Read Sample" option under the cover of the book, here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gahbreeil-G.../dp/B09ML83M3R. Feel free to visit my X, formerly known as Twitter, as well to find shorter works of mine. That would be under @Gahbreeil. My budget is undisclosed, I believe I will be able to pay at least a 500 USD in total for the finished project including commercial rights.

The map that I attach is a rather rough rendition of the final product that I have in mind yet the locations are correct and so is the basic topography. I would like the commissioned map to use the one attached as reference, together with the notes that are written below. I would like more detail, more authenticity and more, allow me to say, magic. Magic in terms of fantasy, imagination through another word, essentially, inspiration. Thus, the map should inspire.

The trim size - 6" x 9" (15.24 x 22.86 cm) - of the novel is as stated. A page in the book supports one 300dpi image. I will need one high definition image of the entire map divided either into eight or four parts representing the directions upon the compass in order for the map to fit into the paperback variant of the novel. I will also need the map divided into four or two parts for the e-book variant.

https://www.dafont.com/chomsky.font?l - A public domain Gothic font to use on the map.

The map, as upon the reference image, is supposed to have it's centre upon the North Pole of the world/planet and the coastlines of the enormous continent are to reach the line of the Tropic. A thirty three hour day and night takes place upon Aerah based on the Sun, the rotation of the world and itÂ’s tilt. The continent featured on the map is an approximate 16,000,000 square miles/42,000,000 square kilometres. That is roughly two North Americas.

No realm names necessary, all realms should have borders around the capital of each realm except for the Commonwealth which unites as many realms as there are capitals to it, and so, there is one border for the Commonwealth. The climate is temperate yet rainy, foggy and similar to that of Great Britain. Storms happen, sometimes often, sometimes rarely. No coniferous forests anywhere except for the permafrost of the northern polar cap where the needles and bark of the coniferous trees are white. only leaved ones. A bigger variety of leaved trees than on Earth.

As you can see, the borders of the Commonwealth create an enormous half moon on the continent with the arms aimed at the northern polar cap. The border is rough and uneven. Merchant leagues or free towns exist in the world, these realms count as feudal realms although all of the realms on the border of the Commonwealth are peaceful and not traditional feudal realms. And so, these realms are very small compared to the average feudal realm.

The Tower is the capital of the forests named Myrkyre and should be quite tall yet through sorcery not visible outside of the forest. Tall yet not reaching above the clouds. Unnamed forests the size of the named ones should exist as well. Gargantuan.

The year is 1372 of the Common Reckoning. Below, the names of all of the capitals of the realms in Aerah, both within the Commonwealth as well as within the fractured feudal realms. Some of the grand forests within and without are named as stated.

Commonwealth

Large Capitals
    Candleine, Montnoir, Avicon, Gryphe, Monastir, Verine, Neveter, Hexeth, the Tower of Myrkyre

Capitals
    Nahlem, Thamerin, Lunaire, Kirlose, Ayris, Harles, Bryar, Strath, Acheral, Harquel, Gardein, Saliph, Voil, Rhymnith, Galeth, Iserin, Sarais, Weires, Pearl, Ambre, Cantes, Warlocke, Graillac, Chevaliens, Vethe, Mayeux

Hamlets
    Ash, Mothlow, Routiers, Melois, Whilver, Couvers, Virell, Crowton, Rosedale, Elketh, Hearton, Brough, Green Hill, Melthorpe, Fernbrook, Tourne, Canberell, Doune, Drakedale, Archyde, Sommerwell

Forests
    Myrkyre, Blackleaf, Weirwood, Bleak Forest, Greenleaf, Stagrest, Goldwood

Feudal Realms

Large Capitals
    Redfleur, Carasin, Arlem, Parvere, Hawkmont, Royestone, Athedral, Bacheveir, Queensford, Aquillir, Meldath

Capitals
    Harlyn, Grey Keep, Crowhaven, Dirmont, Marveux, Parset, Lonseille, Viquetter, Whitecliff, Ravenhold, Stirwick, Featherton, Isle Royale, Guildon, Cildres, Merilier, Gold Peak, Anveir, Ironcouer, Cauldar, Spirestone, Black Harbour, Chercester, Vin, Cantreford, Bathloir, Morvent, Enbeaux, Forlir, Emberhold, Cerisey, Enchel, Kings Seat

Hamlets
    Fernley, Salworth, Heatherin, Weston, Erbeth, Goldshore, Cawrie, Darkspear, Panmoor, Fogton, Woldell, Sundale, Northorpe, Swansey, Milswich, Granches, Liegeford, Morne, Ravens Perch, Cliffside, Riswick, Pike

Forests
    Crimson Forests, Summerleaf, Wolfwood, Sathir, Greyleaf, Myth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AerahQuarters.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	6.49 MB 
ID:	136532  
    Last edited by Gahbreeil; 12-08-2023 at 05:30 AM.

Hello Gabriel! I would love to draw this map for you! I have previous experience with fantasy novel two page spread maps, the latest has been for Clawfoot Press's Victory Square successful kickstarter. Here's the link to my portfolio and a sample of said map. Let me know if you're interested!
    You can send an e-mail to dmvalterink@gmail.com
    DM Valterink Art Portfolio
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captura de Pantalla 2023-11-04 a la(s) 18.13.48.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	136533
    Traditional art map for Clawfoot Press' Victory Square, The Country of Ballea
    Last edited by Valterink; 11-04-2023 at 09:16 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Hello Gabriel,

I'm interested in your project and would love to work with you on it. My maps are full hand drawn and you can find my work at:

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Strigunart

IG: https://www.instagram.com/strigun.art/

If you're interested feel free to hit me up via any of the pages, you can also email me at: endi (dot) oblak93 (at) gmail (dot) com
    or send me a DM via discord (strigun)

Hope to hear from you!

CHEERS!

Hello,
    your project looks very interesting. I had already experience with other maps for novels (you can see everything on my channels). I would like to know more in particular about delivery times. Try taking a look at my works on the links in the signature, if you like my "hand" contact me on hynworks "at" gmail "dot" com

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

HI!
    HI!
    Check my website, I already work for boardgames publishers, book editors and more.
    www.andreaalemanno.com
    best!
    A

Hello,

My name is Valerie, I'm a watercolor map maker, and I create hand drawn region and world maps. I can make some magic for you!
    Please check out my work here and let me know if you'd like to work together. You can find my email in the contact section there.

Name:	Big Map of CEL small.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	136587

Name:	Lamordia Falkovnia Dementlieu.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	136588

Kind regards,
    Valeriya

If you look for something different and more on the realism side you can check my portfolio too if interested.

I am grateful to everyone for their offers. I ran into some financial difficulties recently which are bound to clear up by the beginning of the next year. I'm still eager to see more portfolios and more cartography and so, I hope there will be more offers. Not that I am particularly uninterested in the ones that have already been posted.

Hi! Sorry to hear you've had issues, I hope this won't impact your Christmas time. Here's my portfolio if you're at all interested.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)