Thread: Judges Guild co-founder, 1st published fantasy campaign map 1977

Default Judges Guild co-founder, 1st published fantasy campaign map 1977

I drew my first published wargame map in 1969 with Rapidograph pens and plastic hex templates, 54 years ago.

Bob Bledsaw and I started the Judges Guild in 1976 with the City State of the Invincible Overlord. We then added the Wilderlands of High Fantasy for the regions around the CSIO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1977a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	136697

I sold half of the JG in 1978 and returned to the travel business, making maps to illustrate tour group fliers.

Also made maps for various wargaming projects. The biggest was a 5x12.5' map of the Normandy beaches and peninsula for D-Day. Initially printed in various scales (from 300m/hex to 1 mile/hex) and recently available as a PDF, which, being vectors, could be enlarged to billboard size. That's how I taught myself Illustrator. It took years because I'd get so sick of each 22x34" map that I'd shelve the project until I could stand it again.

Name:	dday9815.gif 
Views:	51 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	136698

I helped Bob re-release the WOHF with hexes because his license didn't put a hex grid on the campaign cartography! My question was: are they not wargamers?!

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 7.14.47 PM.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	136699

He wanted to draw more of the world in about 2002 and needed a grid with coordinates. We couldn't figure out where to get a digital version (our original was a screened version of SPI's blank map grid that Dunnigan let us use). So, by brute force, I drew a 10x10' grid with individually coordinate-numbered hexes!

Now I find that various programs will spit out a digital hex/coordinate grid! So, I'm here to learn how to do stuff the easy way.

I started a company, https://www.combatrules.com to get classic wargames back in print, Fast Rules, Tractics, and soon Brew Up, plus other projects.

Wow, it's great to hear from you! I'll take a look at your new company. Best of luck! (Now where are my Rapidograph pens..?)

Hi, and welcome!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome to the Guild, Bill. Glad to have you with us.
    We're always happy to help with questions. We've all learned a lot from each other over the years.

Welcome to the Guild Bill. 2 Years ago I ran my group through Dark Tower and I am currently running them through The Caverns of Thracia. The group is spread all over the country so we play online and I have redrawn all the maps to battlemap size.

Here is part of the map from the final level:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thracia-Lvl3-rm70-93-70dpi_bg.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	136718