Thread: Floating World of the Sky Shogunate

Map Floating World of the Sky Shogunate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moronobumokuhanga_samplemap_color_small.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	136735

I have a much larger version (4000x5000) over on my blog.

This is the sample map I made using my latest free brush set, Moronobu Mokuhanga. Really wanted to push myself a bit out of my comfort zone with this one. Pretty happy with the results.

I am being a bit cheeky here since this set is based on one of Hishikawa Moronobu's ukiyo-e woodblock prints. Ukiyo-e translates as "picture[s] of the floating world," which was the term used to describe this hedonistic lifestyle of the rising chōnin class during the Tokugawa shogunate. I decided to be less poetic and went more literal and made a map of islands and ships drifting among the clouds.

Landmasses were hand drawn by me in Photoshop. The font is Nazare, which I licensed through Adobe Fonts. All the names come from ukiyo-e artists throughout history. I use Kyle’s Watercolor Brushes for the color effects. The paper texture is from True Grit Texture Supply’s Infinite Pulp, and they’re also where I got Atomica, which gives me ink-like effects for the text and borders.

Masterful usage of your brush pack ! I also love the color scheme here, pretty dreamy

Thank you! I was really pushing myself outside of my comfort zone with the color scheme. Glad the dreamy quality came through!

As already said, this map turned out really well. And the brushes are really nice

Looks very nice! You have built quite a nice brush sets library.

This is just a fantastic piece of art. I love it! Agree with Thomas that it has a beautiful dreamy feel. Congrats again on a wonderful new set of brushes.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"