Thread: City map of Zovaria with added illustration (Noss Saga)

Default City map of Zovaria with added illustration (Noss Saga)

Here's another map for the Noss Saga. This is my first city map. I made this for Book 2, which doesn't come up till 2024, but I thought it should be safe to post it here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map - Zovaria.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	9.18 MB 
ID:	136744

It's a big city, so instead of drawing buildings I made the divisions count for city blocks.

And here's a version with an added illustration on top, which is probably what will end up in the book:

Name:	Zovaria Diptych.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	5.89 MB 
ID:	136742

The illustration portion is heavily Moebius inspired. For it I placed 500 buildings by hand on a basic 3D model as a reference, then drew a few thousand more in Procreate. Here's what the mockup looked like:

Name:	Zovaria1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	716.4 KB 
ID:	136743

Tools: Maya, Procreate, Photoshop. Brush set for the map scanned from my pencil drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by joabaldwin View Post
    Here's another map for the Noss Saga. This is my first city map. I made this for Book 2, which doesn't come up till 2024, but I thought it should be safe to post it here.

Name:	Map - Zovaria.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	9.18 MB 
ID:	136744

It's a big city, so instead of drawing buildings I made the divisions count for city blocks.

And here's a version with an added illustration on top, which is probably what will end up in the book:

Name:	Zovaria Diptych.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	5.89 MB 
ID:	136742

The illustration portion is heavily Moebius inspired. For it I placed 500 buildings by hand on a basic 3D model as a reference, then drew a few thousand more in Procreate. Here's what the mockup looked like:

Name:	Zovaria1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	716.4 KB 
ID:	136743

Tools: Maya, Procreate, Photoshop. Brush set for the map scanned from my pencil drawings.
    Really nice! Great first city map, and I love the version with the illustration.

That is gorgeous! I love the way you did the streets on the map, such a cool idea.

For the page combining the beautiful illustration and the map, I personally would have given the map portion a bit more room as the current layout cuts a good chunk of the lower city out. I think the illustration would maybe have a bit more of the sky and/or sea cut out. But that is more of a layout nitpick, the art itself is stellar as usual.

Great work, thanks for sharing!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    That is gorgeous! I love the way you did the streets on the map, such a cool idea.

For the page combining the beautiful illustration and the map, I personally would have given the map portion a bit more room as the current layout cuts a good chunk of the lower city out. I think the illustration would maybe have a bit more of the sky and/or sea cut out. But that is more of a layout nitpick, the art itself is stellar as usual.

Great work, thanks for sharing!
    Good note! I've been struggling on where to crop the city map. Since it's gonna be printed small (6x9 book) and all of the action takes place in the core of the city, I zoomed in there for clarity, but it does make it seem strangely chopped off. I might play more with other cropping options.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Remarkable work! The view from below is really impressive, both in terms of the impression of gigantism, and from a visual and artistic point of view. Truly admirable!

That is so beautiful. Wow!

These are absolutely gorgeous! Well done!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"