Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le Royaume de Duyin (reboot)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Le Royaume de Duyin (reboot)

Hello fellow cartographers!

After posting this map... and realising that it was far less coherent in style (and pleasing to the eye) than this one, which was drawn much earlier (and which represents the same place, but on a larger scale), I went back to the drawing board.

I don't think I'll ever have spent so much time on a map, but this one is close to my heart because of the story behind it. So I've rethought the whole layout: this is a map that should be used to instruct newly crowned monarchs about the different parts of their kingdom, the duchies, the main Houses, the major towns and villages. So I designed it as a sort of booklet, which folds up and closes over the map of the Kingdom. On the advice of several of you, I've reworked the look of the elements outside the map, so that they don't distract from the representation of the island, taking advantage of the old, worn look.

I think I've ended up with something fairly coherent... I hope you like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Royaume Duyin Guild.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	7.97 MB 
ID:	136630

It looks great, Jo. It's obvious how much time and care you've put into it, and the end result is fantastic.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you so much Chickpea! I'm really pleased that you like this map (and also that you've seen the work that went into it ).

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Every iteration of this map is good, but this one is great. Very pleasing to the eye; the color scheme is on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Every iteration of this map is good, but this one is great. Very pleasing to the eye; the color scheme is on point.
    Thanks Diamond! I've tried to find a balance between the more "illustration" look of the map and the "old parchment" look of the whole thing. I'm quite happy if the difference isn't too shocking!

Looks like you found your way (not that I had a doubt about it) ! I love the panels idea on each side of the map, like extra unfolded pages. And the additional work on the heraldry is just glorious btw !

Thanks so much, Ilanthar !
    Very glad you liked it and that the panels seems a good idea... i had my doubts, since it's not really "mapping"

You, cher Monsieur, are a perfectionnist and we're all the better thanks to this Great job with a wonderful map (great storytelling and worldbuilding with the display) and I especially love the flow of the land. Chapeau Joël !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Hello fellow cartographers!

After posting this map... and realising that it was far less coherent in style (and pleasing to the eye) than this one, which was drawn much earlier (and which represents the same place, but on a larger scale), I went back to the drawing board.

I don't think I'll ever have spent so much time on a map, but this one is close to my heart because of the story behind it. So I've rethought the whole layout: this is a map that should be used to instruct newly crowned monarchs about the different parts of their kingdom, the duchies, the main Houses, the major towns and villages. So I designed it as a sort of booklet, which folds up and closes over the map of the Kingdom. On the advice of several of you, I've reworked the look of the elements outside the map, so that they don't distract from the representation of the island, taking advantage of the old, worn look.

I think I've ended up with something fairly coherent... I hope you like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Royaume Duyin Guild.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	7.97 MB 
ID:	136630
    I love this map , reminds me Japan for shape .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I love this map , reminds me Japan for shape .
    Thanks a lot, Naima !
    It looks a bit like Japan for the shape, but I think the relief, forest, rivers, etc. are far from the land of the rising sun !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast