Thread: Bit of news + looking for recommendations on pocket book size maps!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Discuss Bit of news + looking for recommendations on pocket book size maps!

Hi everyone!

Lately I have been concentrating most of my creative efforts on the writing of my fantasy novel (which progresses nicely!)

I've been working on this same novel's map for some time now, as a reference while I write (I can't imagine how I'd do without).

I was wondering if some of you had any recommendations or tips about pocket book size maps (about 4.25” x 6.87)? The map is a long continent that I separated in two (two pages, north and south continent). What sould I avoid, what should I emphasize? I was also thinking about making a couple "zoomed in" maps for important regions. It's important that it stays black and white, so it can be printed directly in the book, so I'm having trouble with the regions borders.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I might post pics later on, not sure yet.

I wish you all a happy new year, lots of love xxx

Mimine
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

I've no real experience in designing for books, but I do have some as a reader! I use a Kindle for most of my reading, so my opinions are more about ereaders.

I would suggest making labels a little larger than normal, as those can be hard to make out sometimes. And while we all like to make pretty maps with lots of detail here at the Guild, I feel you want the opposite in an ebook. Simple and clear works very well, even if it's not quite so nice to look at. Your idea of zoomed in maps is a good one.

I'd suggest making a somewhat stripped down version for the book, with a link to a more detailed version on your website. You can have best of both worlds that way.

Of course, the pros might have other opinions and suggestions, but that's my tuppence as a reader. Good luck with your book!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Legibility is paramount. I agree with Ruby on the bigger labels, also, think hard on what's necessary and what's not in that department.

About the trimming down, it's a tricky question. You want your reader to have the information. It can be in the book, on the map or both but both is not a necessity. My advice would be to start with few texture elements, add them and see what it looks like in printed version at ebook size. The goal is to inform, not to obstruct and a no texture is better than too much. It has to be clear or have stark contrast that help legibility.

The two versions option is a good one IMO.

Thank you both for your advice! This was the avenue where I was headed, but it helps that you confirmed most of my uncertainties.
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

The only thing I would add about the labels is to keep them limited to only those that are needed for the story. If nothing happens in Village A as the characters pass through, for instance, it probably doesn't need a label. Also, you might the Belgariad Omnibus (by David Eddings), the Cleric Quintet (by R. A. Salvatore) or maybe some of Dennis McKiernan's Mythgar books for good examples of what you are trying to achieve.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

If the map is for your own reference then do it how you want it, something that's meaningful to you. You can always refine the map later on for the published version. If you're going through an agent/publisher they generally have artists of their own for cover work, maps, illustrations, and the like. Or they can advise on the map as they will know what works in a given book format.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Hi, Mimine

In addition to what has been said, maybe one sollution (I believe the problem may be the border between the south and north continents) would be to show this connection twice, once in the north, once in the south? (I know it is weird to feature the same thing twice in a map, but they could be two maps, one made by a northern nation, one by a southern nation, anyway, just ideias). Furthermore, keep things simple? Like, using icons and stuff. Anyway, I don't know.

Now, for examples, your size demand reminded be of the pulp books, ‎17.4 x 10.4 x 1 cm. I know the Pellucidar map, by Edgar Rice Burroughs series (it is from 1915, so it is outdated but anyways, also it is already public domain so I will leave it here).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pellucidar.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	436.1 KB 
ID:	136865

Also the Game of thrones map in the books, it is really concise and precise.

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.files....-north-map.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthron...he_books_only/

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    Hi, Mimine

In addition to what has been said, maybe one sollution (I believe the problem may be the border between the south and north continents) would be to show this connection twice, once in the north, once in the south? (I know it is weird to feature the same thing twice in a map, but they could be two maps, one made by a northern nation, one by a southern nation, anyway, just ideias). Furthermore, keep things simple? Like, using icons and stuff. Anyway, I don't know.

Now, for examples, your size demand reminded be of the pulp books, ‎17.4 x 10.4 x 1 cm. I know the Pellucidar map, by Edgar Rice Burroughs series (it is from 1915, so it is outdated but anyways, also it is already public domain so I will leave it here).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pellucidar.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	436.1 KB 
ID:	136865

Also the Game of thrones map in the books, it is really concise and precise.

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.files....-north-map.png
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthron...he_books_only/

Hope it helps.
    This is exactly what I did for the two parts of the map! I have a bit of south showing in North and vice versa.

Thanks everyone! I do think I will make two versions : one for me and one destined for publishing. Will keep you updated on that!