Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A map with no name

Map A map with no name

Hey fellow guildies,

Here's my first finished map of the year and I'll try to stay consistent in my presence here, new year's resolution's honor !

It's a 67 x 36 cm map drawn for a private RPG party. I had fun drawing the varied biomes, not so much drawing the icons as I am bad at it so, I took a heavy inspiration from Voolf and DimensionDoors maps who are both masters at it.

There are three versions, one with labels, one with magical features and one with no magic (search for the non purple forest ). I post labelless images because I don't like labels, I think they hide the map, sue me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Labels final post.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	136970

Name:	Lallo waste final post.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	136971

Name:	Lallo clean final post.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	136972

As usual, playing with the torn parchment was fun and I love my compass. All in all, this is a map I'm pretty proud of (which shows I'm not an artist ).

The client ended up with a map printable at 134x72 cm and is pretty pleased at the end result, I hope you like it too.

Feel free to offer any critic, I'm a taker.

Cheers !

Thomas, who will dive into forsaken personnal projects for a while

EDIT : I forgot to give a time estimation for this one and I think it is important. This is roughly a 100 hours map.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 02-05-2024 at 02:53 PM. Reason: My broken keyboard tends to put too much

Very nice. I definitely appreciate the version with magic more. I love when there is variety to landscape and biomes on a world map. Looking forward to seeing those "forsaken personal projects" next!

It is good to know other mapists because I really like labels kkkkk (yours included), for me they increase immersion and imagination. But I agree they hide the map, indeed.
    And yours is a beautiful work, your compass rose is splendid, it gives me marvelous and ancient vibes. Also, the effects of the crescent sea are cool.
    Good mapping in those projects.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So the teaser you posted didn't lie: the result is really great.

The different biomes tell a whole host of stories, which are further enhanced by the labels (even if they hide the map - just a little).
    I think you've managed to strike a good balance between all the elements you've drawn and the way you've drawn them: the lines, the colours and the landmass are all in harmony with the mountains, the forests and so on.
    And above all, the special features of the map and the "magical" regions don't fall flat and are well integrated into the whole.
    I find this balance difficult to achieve and I congratulate you on it.
    The compass is obviously magnificent, as is the parchment, but I'd add that the various labels you've drawn (castles, pyramids, etc.) are very well done and that even if they hide a little of the map, they don't detract from the beauty of the whole.
    Well done and thanks for sharing.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Great, you are an inspiration!

Great work, as always! And 100 hours is quite an investment indeed, I hope the client appreciates that!

Regarding the labels though - can I ask, what is your general progress for planning/sketching a map like this? I mainly ask because I used to not really plan for labels before it was time to actually add them in, and then always hated how they (as you said) would just cover the map I'd spent so much time making. But then I started adding labels to my sketches, and that really was a massive game changer in that regard. Now I always plan for the labels before I draw a single line, so the labels become as much a part of the drawing as the map itself, and I don't have to feel bad for covering bits of the map as I've left the label spaces blank in advance to allow room for them. No idea if this is something you already do and just dislike the text in general, which is a completely valid take too, but just something that came to mind when reading that comment!

In any case, an impressive map! I'm very intriqued by the magical and less magical versions. I love the purple forests on the magical one!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love maps like this with lots of little details waiting to be discovered, particularly on the magical map. It's fun to zoom in and out discovering new areas.

I do like the labelling, though I can understand your frustration at how they cover up all your hard work. Kell's suggestion is interesting, and not something I'd considered doing before, so might give that a try. Thanks, Kell!

Always like your torn parchments. Such an attractive, fun effect!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Great map where the eyes are wandering with pleasure (love the way you're doing the ice packs, btw). And that compass is a treat .

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Very nice. I definitely appreciate the version with magic more. I love when there is variety to landscape and biomes on a world map. Looking forward to seeing those "forsaken personal projects" next!
    Thanks Turambar ! I like the purple forest a lot too. As for the forsaken projects, one will likely be done next week, it's a little one and I have three commissions in the works so, gotta juggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    It is good to know other mapists because I really like labels kkkkk (yours included), for me they increase immersion and imagination. But I agree they hide the map, indeed.
    And yours is a beautiful work, your compass rose is splendid, it gives me marvelous and ancient vibes. Also, the effects of the crescent sea are cool.
    Good mapping in those projects.
    Obrigado Ink_alpinist ! I agree with you on the informations and immersion the labels add but I'm a bit of a maniac that need to draw even the stuff that will be hidden Thanks for the compass too, I love doing compass and I'm glad you like the Crescent sea as it's the first time I achieve the Carribean look I've been searching for.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    So the teaser you posted didn't lie: the result is really great.

The different biomes tell a whole host of stories, which are further enhanced by the labels (even if they hide the map - just a little).
    I think you've managed to strike a good balance between all the elements you've drawn and the way you've drawn them: the lines, the colours and the landmass are all in harmony with the mountains, the forests and so on.
    And above all, the special features of the map and the "magical" regions don't fall flat and are well integrated into the whole.
    I find this balance difficult to achieve and I congratulate you on it.
    The compass is obviously magnificent, as is the parchment, but I'd add that the various labels you've drawn (castles, pyramids, etc.) are very well done and that even if they hide a little of the map, they don't detract from the beauty of the whole.
    Well done and thanks for sharing.
    Merci beaucoup Joël ! The secret of this harmony is a consistency in linewidth I guess. This is a lot of compliment, my friend, you make my day

Quote Originally Posted by lepracauno View Post
    Great, you are an inspiration!
    Glad to be inspirational, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Great work, as always! And 100 hours is quite an investment indeed, I hope the client appreciates that!

Regarding the labels though - can I ask, what is your general progress for planning/sketching a map like this? I mainly ask because I used to not really plan for labels before it was time to actually add them in, and then always hated how they (as you said) would just cover the map I'd spent so much time making. But then I started adding labels to my sketches, and that really was a massive game changer in that regard. Now I always plan for the labels before I draw a single line, so the labels become as much a part of the drawing as the map itself, and I don't have to feel bad for covering bits of the map as I've left the label spaces blank in advance to allow room for them. No idea if this is something you already do and just dislike the text in general, which is a completely valid take too, but just something that came to mind when reading that comment!

In any case, an impressive map! I'm very intriqued by the magical and less magical versions. I love the purple forests on the magical one!
    Thanks man, the investment stings but with a map this large, there's not really a way around it I guess. The client appreciates indeed.

My process is "F#@$ the labels, I'll deal with them later on". In my defense I rarely get clients that have their labels ready before the end of the project plus I often add stuff they wanna name after so, I guess that's on me. Your way seems much more effective but as I said before, I'm pretty sure if I did it your way, I'd still end up drawing what lies beneath the labels ...

Yeah, I'm curious about what happens in the purple forest to be honest. I imagine a very disco tribe of satyrs and would very much liketo party with them

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I love maps like this with lots of little details waiting to be discovered, particularly on the magical map. It's fun to zoom in and out discovering new areas.

I do like the labelling, though I can understand your frustration at how they cover up all your hard work. Kell's suggestion is interesting, and not something I'd considered doing before, so might give that a try. Thanks, Kell!

Always like your torn parchments. Such an attractive, fun effect!
    Thanks a lot Ruby ! I'd love to add more unique stuff like these but I'd end up leaving the 100 hours mark way behind and I gotta sleep Joke aside, I enjoy adding those area more annd more these days but I rarely plan them ahead which I should try.

I need to make a tutorial video of those parchments one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map where the eyes are wandering with pleasure (love the way you're doing the ice packs, btw). And that compass is a treat .
    Merci beaucoup Julien When you say ice packs, do you mean the icebergs, the glaciers or the ice shelves ? And you know the compass is how I treat myself

Merci beaucoup Julien When you say ice packs, do you mean the icebergs, the glaciers or the ice shelves ? And you know the compass is how I treat myself
    I was thinking of the ice shelves, but the glaciers & icebergs are also very nicely done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast