Thread: Mission of Gravity -- Rapidly Spinning World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Naima,

Thank you for your response and critique. Unfortunately, unlike some of my other projects, I didn't do a detailed modelling of tectonic plate motion to determine mountain ranges; I merely placed them in logical places based on a quick study. I did, however, get a bit hasty and dropped some ranges on other continents not relevant to my story, so everything except the two ranges in my first map (above) will probably be reworked into something more plausible.

I don't understand why, according to your definition of kinematic viscosity, that thicker, higher-density air should be less viscous than thin air. It's ludicrous. I do, however, need to derive a value for my atmosphere's kinematic viscosity to determine the circulation regime, as shown by this graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circulation Regime.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	136987

As you can see, the red dot represents my current regime at 1.8 atmospheres, consisting of axisymmetric circulation. This regime doesn't allow any wave/eddy disturbances that may evolve into cyclones and anticyclones, and therefore undermines the plot of my story, so I've simply determined the threshold pressure at which I'd be in the "multiple jet" regime (green dot). This corresponds to about 2.4 atmospheres, so I'll have to dial down the oxygen and CO2 percentages to maintain the desired partial pressures. Other than that, 2.4 atmospheres seems workable.

Do my calculations look correct?

I've used the following equations to derive the frictional Taylor number (x-axis) and the thermal Rossby number (y-axis):

Name:  Equations 11.png
Views: 178
Size:  20.5 KB

I don't know if anyone has any expertise to offer, but if you know about this phenomenon, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
    Hi Naima,

Thank you for your response and critique. Unfortunately, unlike some of my other projects, I didn't do a detailed modelling of tectonic plate motion to determine mountain ranges; I merely placed them in logical places based on a quick study. I did, however, get a bit hasty and dropped some ranges on other continents not relevant to my story, so everything except the two ranges in my first map (above) will probably be reworked into something more plausible.

I don't understand why, according to your definition of kinematic viscosity, that thicker, higher-density air should be less viscous than thin air. It's ludicrous. I do, however, need to derive a value for my atmosphere's kinematic viscosity to determine the circulation regime, as shown by this graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circulation Regime.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	136987

As you can see, the red dot represents my current regime at 1.8 atmospheres, consisting of axisymmetric circulation. This regime doesn't allow any wave/eddy disturbances that may evolve into cyclones and anticyclones, and therefore undermines the plot of my story, so I've simply determined the threshold pressure at which I'd be in the "multiple jet" regime (green dot). This corresponds to about 2.4 atmospheres, so I'll have to dial down the oxygen and CO2 percentages to maintain the desired partial pressures. Other than that, 2.4 atmospheres seems workable.

Do my calculations look correct?

I've used the following equations to derive the frictional Taylor number (x-axis) and the thermal Rossby number (y-axis):

Name:  Equations 11.png
Views: 178
Size:  20.5 KB

I don't know if anyone has any expertise to offer, but if you know about this phenomenon, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Peter
    May be you are confusing Kinematic viscosity with dynamic viscosity
    Dynamic viscosity (also known as absolute viscosity) measures the fluid's internal resistance to flow
    Kinematic viscosity measures the fluid's resistance to flow under the influence of gravity.
    When the density of the fluid increases, for the same amount of dynamic viscosity , the kinematic viscosity decreases because you're dividing by a larger number. This indicates that denser fluids have lower kinematic viscosities when their dynamic viscosity remains constant.Conversely, if the density decreases, the kinematic viscosity increases, assuming the dynamic viscosity stays the same. This shows that less dense fluids spread or flow more easily under the influence of gravity alone.In summary, dynamic viscosity is a measure of a fluid's inherent resistance to flow due to its internal friction, independent of its density. In contrast, kinematic viscosity considers the fluid's density and provides insight into how the fluid flows under gravity.

That said , why you do even need that ? If your scope is calculate gravity , just consider masses, densities and define core elements.