Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mission of Gravity -- Rapidly Spinning World

May be I will retry in future to use explasm, bt honestly it gived me more headackes than actual info that I couln't manually find out by myself so far, but yet again I mostly dealt with realistic Earth like planets apart the one I did for Ausur, but even there I slightly altered features of the planet like size, density ,gravity and atmosphere but to very small changes to get a desertic worldscape mostly, its a delicate balance seems , as soon as you move a number here or there everything unbalances and life sustainability becomes difficult.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Map

I've been tinkering with ExoPlaSim extensively since my last post, but can't seem to obtain the optimal range of temperatures for my world. I've accepted the reality that most of "Frodo" will be either hot desert or tundra/icecap so now the main focus is to create just the right insolation and year length to get a minimum of 25 and a maximum of around 55 (Celsius) at the equator. (Frodo has negligible obliquity but a significant eccentricity; thus, temperature ranges will be primarily determined by eccentricity.)

I've reworked the topography as well as the planet map in case anyone would like to critique them. However, please understand these are by NO MEANS complete; if you scrutinize the maps you will see patches of low resolution topography that I intend to either work on in the future or neglect (if the area isn't relevant to the story). You will also see basins on the highest mountain ranges in the far north; this is a rendering error that I intend to correct in my next post. I realize the topography doesn't exactly correspond to a desert climate; thus, I'm hoping someone could let me know how glaring this inaccuracy happens to be.

Here are the reworked maps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planet.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	137407

Name:	Continent Close Up.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	137408

Anyways, I'm going to experiment with some other parameters until I arrive at my desired range of temperatures. As each simulation takes about 22 minutes, this may take a while!

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Toth; 04-14-2024 at 01:16 AM.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Map

I certainly hope this update isn't as crappy as the last, because now I've finally made decent progress, having decided the final orbital parameters of Frodo (after some seemingly endless experimentation on ExoPlaSim). Using the updated values for insolation and year length, periapsis (summers) on Frodo are looking like this:

Name:	Summer.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	137432

And apoapsis (winters) like this:

Name:	Winter.png 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	137433

There's a subtle difference, with the land hotter during the summers and the oceans hotter during the winters.

And altogether, I very much like the updated Koppen map, which gives me plenty of Cfb (oceanic) climates on the east coast of the middle continent, where the story takes place, to balance the vast stretches of desert farther inland. It looks like the characters will have to transition directly from Cfb or Cfc to tundra (ET) climate as they travel towards the north pole. I suppose the rapid drop to frigid temperatures will be very brutal!

Name:	Koppen.png 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	137434

Here is an updated world map with a colour scheme that I particularly like:

Name:	World 2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	137435

And here is a zoomed in version of the globe, centered where the action takes place:

Name:	World 1.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	137436

This time, I've taken care not to place carved mountains in the middle of deserts; also, I've used a different algorithm to create a mosaic of varying mountain patterns in an attempt to mimic mother nature. Would you consider this an improvement over the last?

Anyway, I've still got a long way to go before this one's complete!

Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123