Thread: College Campus Map for a Kickstarter Special Edition

Guild Member IllustratedPageBookDesign's Avatar

Map College Campus Map for a Kickstarter Special Edition

Hello everyone! This January, I made a map for author Clarissa Wild's special edition of her dark romance, Evil Boys. I did really mess up on this one -- I accidentally quoted the price for black-and-white only, when it'd already been confirmed as color. So I ended up having to do the color for free. That said, I do love how the color turned out!

This is the largest color map I've done as a commission. I'd love to do more color maps and more double-page spreads, but I guess the higher price point keeps the self-published author's I work with mostly commissioning single page black-and-white maps. But fingers crossed I can get more special edition Kickstarter projects!

And I'm curious... does anyone else here make maps for romance novels? I haven't seen anyone but me posting them here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spine Ridge University FINAL WEB.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	137046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spine Ridge University BW FINAL WEB.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	137047

Nice! I'm totally captured by the style. Also I won't regret to see a Red/black variant... Since I love the BW one I believe some red touches there would give that punk vibe I can already feel from it!

I'm amazed by the fact you can see the city over the cliff... this is a wonderful touch! The depth of the forest is something else that really capture my attention. Good job!

While, to answer to your question: I do work on Novel Maps, but I am taking less commissions since my Patron journey is taking good part of my energies! It has happened in the past that I was not able to publish something right away, due to the NDAs, but I've learned to pick wisely my commission and whatever your journey will be, stay proud, stay creative, and enjoy the journey!
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Thank you! I think you're right that a red/black variant would look very cool. Maybe even a version with the border decorations in color, and the map in black-and-white?

The city over the cliff was for sure at least 50% of the work. But it's also where I got the most free range. The author wanted to be able to see the city, and aside from a few things like it being near the sea and there being a playground to the left, I could do basically whatever I wanted with it.

I feel you about the NDA thing. I've got commissioned maps that haven't seen the light of day since the authors haven't published yet. I'm used to it though -- it's how it goes. I do think once I started charging more, the maps I make are more likely to actually be published. I've also written to authors occasionally and gotten permission to add things to my portfolio.

Good luck with your Patreon! I've basically abandoned mine since most of my map-time is spent on commissions.

This is great. I love the roses around the border. They're beautifully drawn. The whole thing is just really well done. The University and forest grabs the eye initially then it wanders over the city. I like the whole vibe.

I don't really read romance so not sure about maps. I've read the odd mystery story with a map but they're usually very basic (more of a sketch than anything really artistic). But any book with a map is a good book!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you! I am happy with it.

To be honest, I don't really read romance either. And I think that it's still pretty rare for non-fantasy romance to have maps, but it also seems like there's now a trend for very fancy, special edition hardbacks and character art and things like that.

Said it over on Discord already, but it bears repeating: this is a lovely pair of maps! I love the rose border, and the mask in the corner is a really nice touch. The layout works really well too, and I like the choice of having the city visible down below. A great choice in how to handle showing all the relevant information.

As for romance novel maps, aye, I've done a few over the past few years. The last one was for The Liar's Crown by Abigail Owens a couple of years ago, I think. As you said, I don't think that many non-fantasy romance novels have maps, but then again, same could be said for any literary genre outside of romance. People seem to have less of a need to include maps in their books unless it depicts a completely fictional setting, a real but historial one, or a real but heavily altered one. And it makes sense, really. If your story takes place in modern day London, the reader can just pull up Google Maps if they're not familiar with the city but are curious. No need to waste their precious money on commissioning an artist
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you Kellerica!

The romance map commissions I've gotten are usually for small towns, where an entire series is set. That way the author can use the map across an entire book series (or in some cases, multiple series). But yes, I don't think there's a need for it the same way there is for fantasy books with completely new continents.