Thread: Re-Do of my Althar Homebrew Setting Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I think you have a few too many different fonts here, and some of them that don't quite go together. Mainly I think the fraktur style font for the region names (as beautiful as it is, and I love the effect you have on the text that makes it blend into the texture) conflicts a bit with the rest of the labels, in my opinion.
    Thanks so much for the feedback! This kind of perspective is really helpful - typography & font pairings is still something I'm trying to get my head around. I'm really partial to that fraktur style font as I like the mood it conveys (that gothic-fantasy edge is super fitting to my setting) - would you possibly have any reccomendations for nice readable fonts that could pair well with it to replace the ones I've used for the towns & forests?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    There's also a few of the city names that have way, way tighter kerning than the others, and that makes them a bit messy. I appreciate the intent probably was to make the label match the size of the city illustration on top of it, but I personally would have prioritised readability and just accepted that the name is wider than the illustration.
    On a second glance I 100% agree - I've adjusted the kerning and I think it looks perfectly fine with the text just being wider than the illustrations!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Atlas View Post
    I'm really partial to that fraktur style font as I like the mood it conveys (that gothic-fantasy edge is super fitting to my setting) - would you possibly have any reccomendations for nice readable fonts that could pair well with it to replace the ones I've used for the towns & forests?!
    Honestly, finding anything decent to pair with fraktur types is something I struggle with quite a bit. I've usually ended up pairing fraktur with fraktur when I've used them. My favourite ones are almost all from Peter Wiegel, he's got a ton of amazing fonts including a good number of fraktur ones.

Funnily enough, I think you actually have a nice combo in here already: I really love how this script looks with the blackletter font. Don't know how much sense it makes thematically, but my eye really likes these two together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	137322
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.