Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 4E Dungeons & Dragons - Verdict?

@wormspeaker:

You might search around teh internets for some of the skill challenge brainstorming. A lot of people have come up with great ways to turn them into a more structured RP venue with XP awards, which I think is the real strength of these constructs. I agree that these are a new idea and are very rough, but I think its been a neat effort to get DMs thinking about how to structure and reward RP encounters. Try here:

http://www.critical-hits.com/features/skill-challenges/

@nexis:

I would probably recommend 4.

The advantage of 3.5 is it is a very flexible and open-ended system even if you buy only the core 3 books. The main reason is that you can very freely pick and choose between the classes easily, which gives you a huge number of options for character types. The downside is it can get very complicated, particularly once you start dealing with skill heavy classes and higher levels.

The advantage of 4 is its very easy to learn, the rules are consistent between classes (no separate rules for caster or skills frankly), and the monster templating is easy. The downside it is far less flexible, but only because it is a lot more like 2e in that the classes are well defined and you are pretty much stuck with what you pick (at least with PHB 1 + 2).

Also, you can find (almost) complete 3.5 rules anywhere... search for d20 SRD. Here is one:

http://www.d20srd.org/

@GP:

As far as I can tell, the power sources are purely flavor... they have no impact on the rules, and you can easily and effectively change the style of a class only by changing the power source and reword and slightly rework the skills. Like changing a barbarian into a swashbuckler or a ranger into an archery soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    @wormspeaker:I would probably recommend 4.

The advantage of 3.5 is it is a very flexible and open-ended system even if you buy only the core 3 books. The main reason is that you can very freely pick and choose between the classes easily, which gives you a huge number of options for character types. The downside is it can get very complicated, particularly once you start dealing with skill heavy classes and higher levels.

The advantage of 4 is its very easy to learn, the rules are consistent between classes (no separate rules for caster or skills frankly), and the monster templating is easy. The downside it is far less flexible, but only because it is a lot more like 2e in that the classes are well defined and you are pretty much stuck with what you pick (at least with PHB 1 + 2).

Also, you can find (almost) complete 3.5 rules anywhere... search for d20 SRD. Here is one:

http://www.d20srd.org/

@GP:

As far as I can tell, the power sources are purely flavor... they have no impact on the rules, and you can easily and effectively change the style of a class only by changing the power source and reword and slightly rework the skills. Like changing a barbarian into a swashbuckler or a ranger into an archery soldier.
    Now I can agree that 4e might be easiest for Wormspeaker, especially since he's been out of the game for a decade, and 4e is certainly easier to learn.

I also see that lack of game flexibility makes DMing far easier to handle especially at high level play.

For a new player, having never played an RPG before, the inflexibility makes it much easier to grasp the game, this too I agree with, so 4e does have its positive points in my book.

All this argues that 4e is more balanced, but IMO, its almost too balanced.

However, I disagree that 4e is like 2e, perhaps on some philosophical level, but to me, 4e is a completely different game. There are many similarities between 1e to 3e, at least you can see the progression of the game as expansions of itself, each more complex than the previous. If one only played 2e and looks at 3e, sure its more complex, but saves and AC (for example) are positive d20 instead THACO, which is much easier to grasp. It looks different, but much the same.

In 4e, saves have all but disappeared, spellcasting are really different than any previous edition, all classes having "powers" though can be "thought of" as "techniques of a class" they seem to come off as all classes having spell powers (which I have real problems with), though nothing wrong with a publisher going a different way, to say 4e is like 2e makes no sense. It doesn't look anything like the D&D I've played for 30 years.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, you just can't claim 4e as looking like any previous edition. It doesn't.

Final point, though as you say, powers is really fluff and no mechanics - I argue that the decision to have Monks be psionic powered instead of Ki, implies that the "mechanics" of Ki was somehow in conflict to the balance of the game, or allowance for more classes with Ki powers. If its all fluff, why would it matter if the Monk was Ki powered, Psionic powered or Peanut Butter powered - if the powers are only fluff it shouldn't matter, so there shouldn't have been this need to "dump Ki" from the powers list.

Though I'd have to think about it some, I'm sure I could come up with 4 classes using Ki power and not all of them as "Asian" only types, so if the decision to drop Ki, was due to lack of 4 classes to use, the developers just weren't creative enough.

Or, as I really see it they concerned themselves as Ki as the Monk overmuch, and should have looked at Monk as part of Ki, and Ki having a much wider influence beyond just the Monk.

Obviously, I'm still not over the Monk psionics thing...

GP

PS: I'm not trying to have an edition war, these are just my concerns regarding why I am uncomfortable with 4e, and why I'd rather stay with 3.5+ with Pathfinder. All editions are good for someone, so they are all worthwhile.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-13-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Final point, though as you say, powers is really fluff and no mechanics - I argue that the decision to have Monks be psionic powered instead of Ki, implies that the "mechanics" of Ki was somehow in conflict to the balance of the game, or allowance for more classes with Ki powers. If its all fluff, why would it matter if the Monk was Ki powered, Psionic powered or Peanut Butter powered - if the powers are only fluff it shouldn't matter, so there shouldn't have been this need to "dump Ki" from the powers list.
    Because then they'd have to find three or four other classes powered by Peanut Butter for the Peanut Butter Power Compendium

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm saving my money for the caffeine and nicotine compendium...probably should be a co-author for that one
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Hah!

Hah! I knew that line would get a response!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    PS: I'm not trying to have an edition war, these are just my concerns regarding why I am uncomfortable with 4e, and why I'd rather stay with 3.5+ with Pathfinder. All editions are good for someone, so they are all worthwhile.
    I found I've gone backwards in a search for simplicity and speed, first using Savage Worlds (which I've never quite liked) and now I've recently got back in to Dragon Warriors after a long gap. Plus, someone's just introduced me to Castles and Crusades, which has (IMO) a combination of the best of the Basic D&D and D&D3e rules. C&C has cut away all the skills, feats and powers - it's taken things back to basics.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

For my part I'll say that the 4th ed is probably too balanced and too much miniature-game for my taste. Also I think everyone having spellcasting is not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    However, I disagree that 4e is like 2e, perhaps on some philosophical level, but to me, 4e is a completely different game.
    Sure, I accept that's true at many (probably most) levels. I was mostly referring to the limiting class structure in 1+2e, which I feel like 4e returned to.

Although for the record, saves are still there, they are just called defenses and the attacker rolls against them. That was a great mechanical change in line with the standardization of saves, ability checks, and ability checks in 3e. Now, almost all mechanics follow the rule that the person taking the action rolls to see if it succeeds.

The great thing, IMO, about 4e is that it carries along the trend of making all mechanics more consistent. I like this. When 3e scraped that awful thief skill percentage system, that was pure gold. And for 20 years I have hated spellcasters and have avoided them like the plague because the spell system gets under my skin (pure personal opinion). But in standardizing, they have removed many of the iconic mechanics of D&D.

Final point, though as you say, powers is really fluff and no mechanics - I argue that the decision to have Monks be psionic powered instead of Ki, implies that the "mechanics" of Ki was somehow in conflict to the balance of the game, or allowance for more classes with Ki powers.
    I would suggest that you are possibly more attached to 'ki' than might be reasonable I always sort of assumed it was just an asian flavor of psionics too. I think they were just looking to remove terms for the core book, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see an asian flavored supplement with ki powered classes. I also think it could have been powered by peanut butter with virtually no effect on the game.

I'm not trying to have an edition war, these are just my concerns regarding why I am uncomfortable with 4e, and why I'd rather stay with 3.5+ with Pathfinder.
    Yar! I don't think I'm going to stop playing 3e either. I don't need simplicity... I prefer flexibility. If I play 4e, it'll be with noobs, where I think the game really shines (not saying only noobs like 4e, I just think it was brilliantly simplified and made more consistent).

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    Yar! I don't think I'm going to stop playing 3e either. I don't need simplicity... I prefer flexibility. If I play 4e, it'll be with noobs, where I think the game really shines (not saying only noobs like 4e, I just think it was brilliantly simplified and made more consistent).
    That is exactly what I look for in the game. After looking at 4th I think I will stick with 3.5.

In what I found about 4 is what most here were saying. A good system for beginers and very streamlined for players or DMs who want to get into the game and not take hours making up a characters or adventures.
    I have always been in to max detail in my games so I think I'll give 4 a pass.
    But after seeing the Pathfinder beta I am now debating over getting the 3.5 books this weekend at CanGames (Ottawa's annual Gaming Convention) or cooling it till August with the release of Pathfinder.

Now that I had a chance to read those 4ed books a bit, I noticed that they have a few nice modifications to the rules. Mainly ones that lead to increased damage compared to earlier editions but I'm not the one to adopt changes that nerf stuff. The game is not about balance, it's about beating up monsters

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast