View Poll Results: Was this tutorial useful for you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 75.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • No, because I don't use the application used.

2 25.00%

Thread: [Award Winner] Creating old, weathered paper using the Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone,

This is an interesting method for creating an "aged parchment" look. It's a little different than the one I've been using, which is based on Butch Curry's method (see my Gimp adaptation of Curry's "Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop" video tutorials, in this same forum thread).

One question though--I have Gimp 2.6.8, and I can't find the menu/dialog for changing layer modes. In the help documentation for 2.6, it lists layer modes as being available, but I can't find them where the doc says to find them. Does anyone here that's familiar with Gimp know what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

@wisemoon: It should be the combobox at the top of the Layers window/dialog. The label is 'Mode:'

In other news, this tutorial enabled me to take what was a rather mediocre map and turn it into something that actually looks quite cool. Presentation may not be everything, but it sure does help!

http://people.eecs.ku.edu/~jciskey/U...Unlabelled.png

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Example of "aged parchment" - RobA's method, and another

Just as an example, I wanted to post a couple of pics of "aged parchment" backgrounds for maps.

The first one is from a method used by Butch Curry of Zombie Nirvana Games (this was made in the process of my ongoing adaptation of Curry's Photoshop tutorials to Gimp). [see Parchment1_Ep2.jpg]

The second one was done using RobA's excellent tutorial in this thread. Comparing the two, I like the second one just a bit better. [see Alternate_Parchment1.jpg]

I do like some of the elements from Curry's method; what I'll probably end up doing is combining the methods in some fashion, depending on the style of map I want to create.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parchment1_Ep2.jpg 
Views:	3306 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	25325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternate_Parchment1.jpg 
Views:	5051 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	25326  
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!