Hello there! I know it's been a long time since anyone posted about this script, but I just stumbled across this today. I'm using Gimp 2.8, and the script works fine. However, in the options, it is not possible to go thinner than 1 with the line width. Like, .5 or something. In my experience, the lines are a bit too thick, even at 1. I adjusted the offset to .5 each, and it was a little better, but I am looking for very thin lines, much like you see on a printed hex map.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

James

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
This post asked about drawing hex grids in Gimp.

I posted a quick and dirty hex script there, but have cleaned it up and added more features.

I shows up as Filters->Render->Pattern->Hex Grid... (which is the same sub-menu as the existing grid script).

This script works on the current layer/drawable to be consistent with the way the normal grid plugin works.

Here is the dialog:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hexdialog.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	12813

The options are:

Element to Specify - is either the length of one side, the distance from point to point (equals the horizontal center to center in a horizontal oriented hex grid) or side to side (equals the vertical center to center in a horizontal oriented hex grid).
Length of Element - the length in pixels of the above item.
Hex Orientation - Horizontal or Vertical
Line width - the width of the stroke
Horizontal and Vertical offsets - when zero the first grid is tight in the upper left hand corner, with the stroke half off the edge. So for example, if you set it to a 1 pixel line width, you might want to change the corresponding offset to 0.5 so the lines are drawn lined up with the pixels and don't get aliased.
Color - colour of the hex grid, spelling the American way

Just a note that the grid dimensions and offsets are always to the center of the lines, so if you run the script again with a different colour and a thinner line width you can get some neat effects:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hex.jpg 
Views:	29159 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	12814

Hope this is useful. Suggestions on improvements or general comments and criticisms welcome.

-Rob A>