Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusTay View Post
    I bought a tablet a couple of years ago, but I couldn't get the hang of it and stopped using it almost immediately.

So I'm a mouse-man myself
    Dig it out! Seriously. I love my mouse (well, trackball) and it is what I use for much of my work..... but you can't beat the combination of a pressure sensitive tablet and software that can use the pressure/angle, etc sensitivity.. for "natural" painting/touch-ups/ dodge and burn, etc.

-Rob A>

I tried a few months back, and the same thing happened.

How the heck do you know where your 'drawing point' is going to start on the screen?

That would be wherever the cursor is just like if you were using a mouse. It sounds like maybe you are not hovering the stylus to move the cursor and are just putting it down on the tablet. You should be able to hold the stylus near the surface and have the cursor move around. Once you have it where you want you can then press it to the pad and draw.

Or is it a different problem?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, I had the same problem...that hovering messes me up so I quit using my tablet as well. I'm sure, though, that just like anything else it just takes getting used to...I just never had the patience to get used to it
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Interesting... I am curious why they would be a problem. Is it actually when you go to move it to the tablet or is it actually the hovering part?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well, the additonal problem was that when hovering the cursor would be in one place and then when I put the pen down it would jump to the right place and hence any lines would get all screwy. Too much for me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Really? That is odd. Is it a Wacom tablet? I've never seen that behavior with mine. I think you can set sensitivity and I know you can set application specific behavior. Have you made sure you have the latest drivers and all that?

I actually took mine to work and have been using it all week for PhotoShopping some stuff for our service manager, and the behavior was the same as at home so maybe drivers aren't the answer.

I definitely think that behavior is not typical though... Oh! One other thing to take a look at. If you have any other styluses on the tablet that could cause a jump as would if you move the mouse while you are using the tablet. The basic rule is "one input device at a time". I have had it jump when I had been using the tablet mouse and set it aside, but it was still close to the tablet and then I used the stylus. Now I make it a rule to always only have one stylus or mouse on the tablet at a time.

I don't know - I think maybe the learning curve is too steep or something.

I'm used to putting my hand down with a pen (stylus) and drawing while looking down at it, not looking up at the screen. I can't get the hang of not watching where my hand is going.

Also, that 'hover' thing seems to be an issue as well. When I put the stylus down it snaps to the new position... and draw a line across my work. I hated the damn thing.

Besides, I need the mouse to click on stuff with photoshop, and I can't be switching back and forth all the time - it sounds like way more trouble then it's worth.

Maybe when I can afford a touch-screen I can have my cake and eat it too.

You don't need you mouse to click on stuff. Just use the stylus. The not looking at what you are doing thing really isn't that difficult. Aren't you doing that with the mouse anyway? Take a look earlier in this thread for the tutorials/exercises that are posted. They should really help you as well.

Yes, but I learned to draw maps WAY back when by hand, and use pens, pencils, crayons and all manner of stylus-like tools to do so.

When I learned to use photoshop, I was used to a mouse for computing, and although it took a short time for me to get used to, I was laready used to using my mouse while working a computer screen.

I know it sounds weird, but after drawing for more then thrity years, I simply CANNOT hold anything shaped like a stylus in my hand and draw without looking at my hand - it's ingrained. I want the tip of my 'thingy' to be where the drawing is occurring, not two feet away in another direction. I just can't get past that.

You can use the stylus to click on stuff? See that? I can't get past that either - I HAVE to use my mouse to click on stuff (and if you think thats bad, you should see me trying to work a laptop-touchpad).

Another question, though, in case I give it a third try - can you buy replacement stylus? I knew exactly where I stuck my tablet, but I'm not sure if I can find the Stylus again. Here's the thing - I don't think I used the stylus the second time I tried it - can any pointy object work? THAT may be why I was having such difficulty. I wasn't getting that 'hover' thing you guys are talking about - I never saw anything resembling a cursor on my screen; I went from no-touch to drawing instantly, without any visual reference.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 11-23-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast